Front Drive shaft length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I need to replace my front drive shaft. I am having problems finding out which part I need. when I was at autozone they said it came in 3 different sizes. 16.5"/19"/20" measured from weld to weld when collapsed. But when I called the dealer to try and find out they could only give me a part number which matched the one I found on my jeep. P52111596AA The part numbers autozone has vs the dealer don't match up and the dealer didn't know the size. Everything I've found online only gives me measurements from flange to flange. Also from searching online I've read that lifted Jeeps may need a different front drive shaft length. I have a 2.5-3" lift on mine. Does anyone know what length I need so I can get it from autozone? I need to order by 10am Friday or it won't get here till after Monday. Thanks in advance for any help! Here is my jeep info.

2004 Jeep Liberty 4Wheel drive 3.7L 6cyl with 2.5-3" Skyjacker lift
VIN: 1J4GL48K54W242847

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to replace the driveshaft? Both CVS can be rebuilt.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Told it was need to be replaced by a transmission shop near me. They have a good reputation from people I know and from around town. So I believe them.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Told it was need to be replaced by a transmission shop near me. They have a good reputation from people I know and from around town. So I believe them.

Well if the CVs are toast they can be rebuilt. The shaft itself is fine. Most shops will just want to change the whole thing since it is easier for them but MUCH MUCH more expensive for you!

I think it's about 45 bucks to rebuild the rear and somewhere near that for the front but I doubt your front is shot. Let me get a part number for you.

Apex

Reaction score
I second CzarKJ's opinion, I bought that very same CV joint from that very same website. It's the rearward CV on the front prop shaft that usually goes bad. Mine sounded like santa's sleigh before I changed it out lol.

It'd be a good idea to buy or borrow some snap ring pliers for the job too, by the way.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

LOL of course they want to sell you a complete new drivesaft, more $$$ for them

98 % of us have had to repalce the rear CV on the front driveshaft and almsot all use what has been posted
Takes longer to remove the driveshaft than what it does to replace the head.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to call the shop in the morning and get specifics on what he said was wrong with it. I remember he said something about the CV joint and I thought he had said something about the shaft too (not sure if he said it was bad/good). I know for certain that he said that the front drive shaft was almost falling out...idk what exactly that means but it lead me to question if I needed a longer Front Drive Shaft due to my lift. I wouldn't want to buy a new shaft if I can just replace those parts and I wouldn't want to buy new parts if I needed the whole new shaft due to length issues. Thanks all I'll post up when I get a hold of him tomorrow.

I'm also having him do some transmission work and to change my gear ratio due to bigger tires so when he quotes me on that I'm gonna throw up the details of what he's doing and what he is quoting me so I can get y'all's opinion on what he charges me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have to call the shop in the morning and get specifics on what he said was wrong with it. I remember he said something about the CV joint and I thought he had said something about the shaft too (not sure if he said it was bad/good). I know for certain that he said that the front drive shaft was almost falling out...idk what exactly that means but it lead me to question if I needed a longer Front Drive Shaft due to my lift. I wouldn't want to buy a new shaft if I can just replace those parts and I wouldn't want to buy new parts if I needed the whole new shaft due to length issues. Thanks all I'll post up when I get a hold of him tomorrow.

I'm also having him do some transmission work and to change my gear ratio due to bigger tires so when he quotes me on that I'm gonna throw up the details of what he's doing and what he is quoting me so I can get y'all's opinion on what he charges me.

Driveshaft does not change at all due to a lift, front diff, etc is all hard mounted so nothing changes, no longer driveshaft needed. The rear CV goes out, simple repair, save money and don't let them do it!
AGAIN you do not need a longer driveshaft due to lift
rear gear ratio?? You have to do both ends or is he doing a pinion reset ? There is a difference

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to the mechanic today. He said the whole thing needed to be replaced, I asked if the whole thing or just the cv joint. He said that they don't rebuild them and that he wasn't sure if any does. I assume the info yall gave me is still relevant so I'm gonna look at buying the rebuild.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so he wants to replace it because of the CV joint.

Yeah.... just get one from driveshaftparts.com

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Talked to the mechanic today. He said the whole thing needed to be replaced, I asked if the whole thing or just the cv joint. He said that they don't rebuild them and that he wasn't sure if any does. I assume the info yall gave me is still relevant so I'm gonna look at buying the rebuild.

LOL
typical doesn't want to mess with it.
The info we gave you is still relevant , trust us ......

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have a vice / worktable handy, a vice would have sped things up for me thats for sure

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our KJs still drive fine (2wd) without the front shaft.

Then you can take your time to assess it, and decide how to proceed.

Dorman or Omix-Ada part #'s are 932301 (rear) and 932302 (front). Rockauto has a good price on the Dorman.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our KJs still drive fine (2wd) without the front shaft.

Then you can take your time to assess it, and decide how to proceed.

Dorman or Omix-Ada part #'s are 932301 (rear) and 932302 (front). Rockauto has a good price on the Dorman.

Been overwhelmed with school, I'm going to get the part for the CV joint off the site you guys gave me. Thanks everyone.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow up, got the CV Joint rebuild from that site y'all suggested. Pulled off the front drive shaft and the old CV Joint. It was completely shot. The rubber boot was gone and there wasn't a hint of lubrication in there just rust. The whole process took about 1.5 hours. Hardest part was getting the bolts off the rear of the drive shaft. My socket was a little fat and made it not sit on the bolt. So i had to put a small wrench on there sticking straight out and push the jeep a little to get the shaft to rotate. That pushed the end of the wrench against the frame and loosened the bolt. Had to do that for every one!

So thank all of you, saved me a lot of money and got that part fixed with relative ease.