Front Drive Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, I just had the rear drive shaft u-joints replaced and my mechanic advised replacing the front drive shaft. Any advice or recommendations on brand? I see Rock Auto has some options.

Any advice on how I can make sure I order the right size? I'm seeing different lengths.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, rear CV as stated. Under $40 for the kit. The CV wears out periodically and needs replacing. I have done mine twice now in 215k miles.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those little boots degrade/crack and let the grease out. I replaced the boot before the grease was compromised. No issues with the joint itself in 140kmiles.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard its harder depending on the year. I guess they changed the routing of the exhaust? Maybe its if you have a 45rfe?

Either way, I was able to push the driveshift up and above the tcase then drop the front of the shaft out.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the KK you need to remove an oxygen sensor from the exhaust to get the front driveshaft out… that’s not a fun job if it’s seized. :rolleyes: