Front drive shaft CV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strikeking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya tried that. No luck. Now I have diff fluid coming out of the bolt hole. Is this normal?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya tried that. No luck. Now I have diff fluid coming out of the bolt hole. Is this normal?

Diff fluid can't come out of the bolt holes , unless you've removed something different . There maybe a small amount of fluid in there but its would only be a teaspoon full

Strikeking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow what a fight but I got it out. So should I use lock tite on the bolts when input it back together?

Strikeking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance of damaging that cv on the diff end by pulling on the drive shaft? There is quite a bit of length travel on that end. Is there a snap ring on that end as well that keeps it from coming all the way out? Thanks bye the way for everyone's input. I'd be lost without it. Oh and bye the way. To crack it free I had the transfer case side free then had to put a small pipe wrench on the drive shaft with a rag wrapped around it. Then I was able to spin the cv inside the front yolk to loosen it. Then tapped it out gently with a hammer.

Last edited:

Strikeking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else have diff fluid come out of the front yolk when you took out the front driveshaft CV? When I finally got mine loose I had about a tablespoon full come out. The out side seal area is dry and show no signs of leakage. I just find this weird, but it is the first time that driveshaft was every removed so could it be from the asembly at the factory?

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else have diff fluid come out of the front yolk when you took out the front driveshaft CV? When I finally got mine loose I had about a tablespoon full come out. The out side seal area is dry and show no signs of leakage. I just find this weird, but it is the first time that driveshaft was every removed so could it be from the asembly at the factory?

i had a very small amount. i blamed it on the petrolium seperating from the cv grease. mike

roberjon

Reaction score
Good Afternoon, KJ Forum! Long time lurker, short time member, and third time poster here. I have a question but before I ask, I just want to say thank you to everyone on here for all the information/photos they share - it's all really helped me as it seems I've been doing quite a bit of work on my KJ recently (not a bad thing at all). My knowledge has grown a ton since I found this forum!

On the subject of front drive shaft CV's (Transfer Case side): is there anything I can put on the outside of rubber boot to help prevent it from getting brittle and ripping again?

I know that if it were to rip again that it's an easy and inexpensive job, but my philosophy is if I'm going to spend the time/money/effort to fix my own rig, I want to do it right the first time, upgrade the parts (whenever I can), and go "above and beyond" so it doesn't break again (if possible). Thanks again!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon, KJ Forum! Long time lurker, short time member, and third time poster here. I have a question but before I ask, I just want to say thank you to everyone on here for all the information/photos they share - it's all really helped me as it seems I've been doing quite a bit of work on my KJ recently (not a bad thing at all). My knowledge has grown a ton since I found this forum!

On the subject of front drive shaft CV's (Transfer Case side): is there anything I can put on the outside of rubber boot to help prevent it from getting brittle and ripping again?

I know that if it were to rip again that it's an easy and inexpensive job, but my philosophy is if I'm going to spend the time/money/effort to fix my own rig, I want to do it right the first time, upgrade the parts (whenever I can), and go "above and beyond" so it doesn't break again (if possible). Thanks again!

Welcome! (welcome)

Best thing for that boot is a good washing. Every time you wash the body of the Jeep give it a good spray down on the bottom too. Daddy always said that vehicles rot from the inside out so clean the bottom just as much as the top.

I go the self-serve wash about once a week and put the selector on Hi Pressure and spray down every nook and cranny I can get to. Amazing how it keeps the rust away from the body and makes it SO MUCH easier to work on the suspension components.

If I remember correctly, tjkj2002 crawls under his Gila Monster every Sunday and cleans the underside just like he does the topside. Trust me, his KJ is spotless :smokin:

Bob

roberjon

Reaction score
Welcome! (welcome)

Thanks!

Best thing for that boot is a good washing. Every time you wash the body of the Jeep give it a good spray down on the bottom too. Daddy always said that vehicles rot from the inside out so clean the bottom just as much as the top.

Cleaning it up everywhere is my aim - not just the interior and exterior. My 03 LTD spent her first 5 years in Michigan (bought it used in 04) until my wife and I moved to FL in 08. The salt from up there and my lack of frequent under carriage rinsing has caused some surface rusting but its no where near as bad as some of the pics I've seen on here. So, as I work on things I'm going to clean her up. For instance, I saw someone on here painted their front drive shaft and it inspired me to do the same. I sanded it down and threw on 2 coats. Can't wait to put it back in tomorrow so I'll have my 4WD back!

I go the self-serve wash about once a week and put the selector on Hi Pressure and spray down every nook and cranny I can get to. Amazing how it keeps the rust away from the body and makes it SO MUCH easier to work on the suspension components.

I've been doing this every weekend lately and I follow it up by picking a section to wax that day. Eventually I will get her done and ready for the brutal FL summer sun.

If I remember correctly, tjkj2002 crawls under his Gila Monster every Sunday and cleans the underside just like he does the topside. Trust me, his KJ is spotless :smokin:

Damn, now that's dedication!

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Bob!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, tjkj2002 crawls under his Gila Monster every Sunday and cleans the underside just like he does the topside. Trust me, his KJ is spotless

Not really a crawl. More like a hunched walk.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! (welcome)

Bob

More than him do that ha ha
plus like mine everything gets painted underneath every 3-4 months
lawn sprayer under it as soon as it gets done four wheeling,... everytime
and no rust anywhere at 184,000 and owning it close to nine years