Front Differential Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsincav

Reaction score
Well I hope this problem isn't a showing that the liberty is going to be an unreliable vehicle. 07 Liberty Sport w/ 7000 miles and a bad front seal as the service manager called it. Notice a wet spot all over the front wheel inside and the axle shaft. Over the weekend noticed the oil was actually all over everything. The differetial, the cover plate had droplets forming. I had not even done any serious off roading with the Jeep yet. Is this a common problem? And should I expect to be fixing this on a regular basis. If so I will take the loss and go back to a Frontier. Had to vent, a little P-Oed, that this happened with only 7000 miles.

Thanks

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7k on my '07 with no issues relating to that. I just have a window issue.

I'd tend to say not to freak out yet. Is it a pain? Yeah. You are the lucky one who is a Jeep statistic, that's all. I am sure you'd find people with a Frontier that are statistics as well.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Don't be worried about it. The way vehicles are mass produced today, it's very easy for things to pop up like this on new vehicles.

You've got a warranty, the dealer will take care of it and you'll be good to go for many miles to come! :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are in warrenty and they will fix it. I had a rear pinion seal leak at around 10,000 miles that I noticed when I was doing an oil change. Not a bad leak, but a leak nontheless and they replaced it without batting an eyelash. It could happen with ANY vehicle. It's just a PIA to take it in.

Dave

rsincav

Reaction score
I know it just ***** when something goes so early. They fixed it yesterday just did not get a warm fuzzy feeling when the service manager told me to just keep an eye on it. I know this is the wrong place to post about the Stealership services. But usually get the first 2 LOF's done by the dealer. And LOF, air filter, and rotate the tires, $82.00. That is disgusting, I told them next time pull down my pants. Sorry for the expression.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it just ***** when something goes so early. They fixed it yesterday just did not get a warm fuzzy feeling when the service manager told me to just keep an eye on it. I know this is the wrong place to post about the Stealership services. But usually get the first 2 LOF's done by the dealer. And LOF, air filter, and rotate the tires, $82.00. That is disgusting, I told them next time pull down my pants. Sorry for the expression.

Taking it in is a pain but that's what the warranty is for.

I do my own oil changes. It is just more convenient for me. While I am under there I check everything out and spray the sway bar bushings with lubricant. That is how I found my pinion seal leak when I was looking around underneith. Took it to the dealer and they ordered a new seal and I went back the next day and they fixed it. So I was there 2x and it was a pain but it is done and has not leaked since.

As for the $82 I don't think that's too bad. The OEM air filter is about $15-$18 or so if you buy it at the dealer parts counter. At least that is what I paid for mine if I remember correctly.. An average price for oil and filter change is about $25 or so (around here) and if you figure $5 for each tire for rotation that would be another $20. So $18+$25=$20=$63. Those are average prices around here anyway. So it was not that bad. You only had to pull your pants down half way..

Dave

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This whole "having a warranty" thing is new to me. it's really the first car I have owned with one. My driver's front window seems to like to get jammed now. I was thinking "Oh, I'll pull it apart and see what's up" and in my head I am trying to figure out a possible cost to repair it. Then I realized I have 7k miles on it and it's still under warranty.

I'm a DIYer....not used to this junk! ;)

Grynder

Reaction score
7k on my '07 with no issues relating to that. I just have a window issue.

I'd tend to say not to freak out yet. Is it a pain? Yeah. You are the lucky one who is a Jeep statistic, that's all. I am sure you'd find people with a Frontier that are statistics as well.

Howdy Atrus,
What type of window issue are you having ? I just bought my wife a '07 Limited and the drivers door window gets wedged about the top 1/3 when rolling it up. Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

Thanks,
G

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had an 04 frontier, i was a fronty fanatic, but compared to the jeep it was crap (parts wise, minus the reliable engine)just plain cheap

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy Atrus,
What type of window issue are you having ? I just bought my wife a '07 Limited and the drivers door window gets wedged about the top 1/3 when rolling it up. Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

Thanks,
G

That exact problem! If you watch, the passenger and driver windows both slightly tip forward when rolling up...the driver's will jamb. Need to get it in. I am not too worried - it's easy to fix and get it to roll up, so I'll take it in when I have time.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearings and seals can be bad at anytime, they usually let themselves be known fairly quickly or your good to go for a good long time. Remember the front end isn't built by Jeep they buy it from another source like all the manufacturers do. The seals aren't built by the front end manufacturer either for the most part. There is also no way the person who installed the seal could tell the seal was faulty under most conditions unless it was damaged physically, the differences between a perfect seal and a lesser quality seal is just to small to see.