Front bumper/winch weight and adjust-a-struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have JBA 2.5' lift and front adjustable struts with about 8000 miles on them. Next week i'll have an ARB front bumper and winch installed. I got these struts last year because I knew i was putting a bumper on in the future so my question is how much should they be dialed up to counter-act sagging? Also JBA lists this valve setting on their website. Any changes recommended?
Thanks.

JBA recommended setting
12 clicks on Rebound
4 clicks on Compression

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have JBA 2.5' lift and front adjustable struts with about 8000 miles on them. Next week i'll have an ARB front bumper and winch installed. I got these struts last year because I knew i was putting a bumper on in the future so my question is how much should they be dialed up to counter-act sagging? Also JBA lists this valve setting on their website. Any changes recommended?
Thanks.

JBA recommended setting
12 clicks on Rebound
4 clicks on Compression

No real amount since depending which winch you get, cable or rope etc all makes a big difference so hard to put an exact number on it , But an estimate would be try one full turn and then see where you are, again that is a guess since hard to say for sure
As far as the settings with winch and bumper that should work well

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the CRD springs as I already had the ARB and a winch with synthetic rope so I can't really give you a definite number of turns. Seems it would depend on which springs you have on the coilovers so I agree with Tom. Too much "it depends" to give you an answer - sorry :emotions34:

As far as the clicks... I may be going about it wrong but I have actually backed off the settings on mine. I do a lot of highway driving, but when I'm off-highway it's on back country roads and farm lanes so I see everything except off-road trails when I'm traveling for business. I wanted a little 'smoother' ride than JBA's initial settings - so right now I'm at 10 clicks on rebound and 4 on compression. I'll be darn if the KJ doesn't ride like a Denali now on the highway but on the bumpy back roads it's still impressively stable and comfortable. I love the fact I can take the clicks back up when I go on a trail ride if I want to.

Marlin just needs to get a set of the adjustable shocks for the rear for a 4 inch lift - those front coilovers have totally spoiled me :waytogo:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Marlin just needs to get a set of the adjustable shocks for the rear for a 4 inch lift - those front coilovers have totally spoiled me :waytogo:

Bob

Easy move the shock mounts and use the 2.5 inch :gr_grin:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy move the shock mounts and use the 2.5 inch :gr_grin:

See Rev., I need to think more like you do. Don't look at things the way they are but the way they could be...

I've actually thought about moving the shock mounts to get them out of the way of rocks and other off-road dangers and didn't even think about the benefit to being able to get the shorter shocks.

Tom, you may have just cost me a few bucks at JBA :happy175::happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
See Rev., I need to think more like you do. Don't look at things the way they are but the way they could be...

I've actually thought about moving the shock mounts to get them out of the way of rocks and other off-road dangers and didn't even think about the benefit to being able to get the shorter shocks.

Tom, you may have just cost me a few bucks at JBA :happy175::happy175:

I am always very very happy to see someone else spend money!
But it does work , quite a number of people did it back in the beginning of KJ time
Of course a VERY good person welding is needed plus some other little things ya know