Front bumper removal 02-04

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I want to install the factory tow hooks from my 02 Renegade on my 03 Limited and need to remove the front bumper cover to do so. The Chilton manual says to drill out the plastic rivets holding the flares on. Is there any trick to removing the bumper without doing this??

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. It's been a while since I chopped/ripped my bumper off and replaced it. IIRC, there are a couple of plastic rivets that hold the wheel well liner to the trailing edge of the bumper skin and a couple of bolts under the grille. Check some of the how-to's . I beleive that HJ had his off a couple of times to wax or clean something under there. He's kinda weird that way.

Last edited:

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just letting you know it is possible to install the hooks without taking the bumper off. Just have some patience. :disgust:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. It's been a while since I chopped/ripped my bumper off and replaced it. IIRC, there are a couple of plastic rivets that hold the wheel well liner to the trailing edge of the bumper skin and a couple of bolts under the grille. Check some of the how-to's . I beleive that HJ had his off a couple of times to wax or clean something under there. He's kinda weird that way.

Yeah I did look at the How Tos (Including HJ's) but you guys have 05+ bumpers without the fender flares over them.

Just letting you know it is possible to install the hooks without taking the bumper off. Just have some patience. :disgust:

I know it is possible to do it without removing the bumper when installing the MOPAR ACCESSORY hooks but I do not see how it is possible with the ones I have. They came from the factory on my Renegade and instead of having the 'M'- shaped bolt they have a flat steel plate with 2 studs that goes in through an access hole in the front of the bumper reinforcement.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did look at the How Tos (Including HJ's) but you guys have 05+ bumpers without the fender flares over them.

I know it is possible to do it without removing the bumper when installing the MOPAR ACCESSORY hooks but I do not see how it is possible with the ones I have. They came from the factory on my Renegade and instead of having the 'M'- shaped bolt they have a flat steel plate with 2 studs that goes in through an access hole in the front of the bumper reinforcement.

I have the factory ones too like you. When I did mine I went to Napa first and bought a jar of those rivets. I also found the tool online somewhere that you use to put them in. There's probably a thread on that around here somewhere. I only removed one side and enough of the other side to sort of swing the bumper out like a swing gate. It worked pretty good. But there is no way you'll get those in without removing the bumper cover.