Front axle repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liron sasson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in israel we dont have napa so we found local axle shop that can repair the movment between the cx axle and axle shaft.
What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG-20220530-WA0078.jpg
    IMG-20220530-WA0078.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 46

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be , not sure
Just thinking aloud here:

if it were the bearing surface, there used to be a kit on some bigger gm stuff that had an offset/recessed axle bearing.

i've wondered about having that surface machined/sleeved and put back to oem spec.

does that capability exist?

in my area there is only 1 part time machine shoppe. He deals mainly with race engine builds.

liron sasson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They made some filling in the splines maybe with loctite 638,dont really know what they done inside it
and outside is a welding

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Just thinking aloud here:

if it were the bearing surface, there used to be a kit on some bigger gm stuff that had an offset/recessed axle bearing.

i've wondered about having that surface machined/sleeved and put back to oem spec.

does that capability exist?
Powder metal spray weld build-up and turn to oem dimensions. Remachining splines would need a lot more machining time and talent.

"Abom79" has some youtube spray welding videos.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray weld doesn't work so well on the GM design or most others because the bearing rollers ride on the hardened surface of the axles and the spray welds are not that hard. Machining them down and welding with stick or TIG then turning back and hardening the surface works.

Latest posts

Members online