frong Axle issues IFS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody ever have any issues with their front axle (inside the housing)? I'm thinking along the lines of an axle bearing in the housing.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to have to describe what kind of problems you're having, that's very vague, and it could be a number of things.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got way to much play in the front axle where the CV meets the housing.

i get a bump bump sound that increases with speed and dec when i slow down (its definitely harmonic with the rotation of the DS or Front Drive train)

ive had it to 6 diff shops and the last guy found the slop in the CV/axle

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
right side I assume? If so time for a Remanned CV and intermediate shaft

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...you've piqued my interest. :eek:

I have noticed a sound ever since having my KJ lifted that is similar to what is being described. Less of a "bump" than a rythmic rubbing that speeds up/slows down consistently. It's really only noticeable at slow speeds, and usually when first driving the car after it's sat a little while. After it's warmed up, I don't really notice it as much? (Or perhaps I tune it out...I'll try to listen for it tonight on the way home from work.) I haven't had it looked at yet, as it doesn't seem to be affecting the ride quality. I also have not really determined which side it is coming from...but I think it's the right hand (passenger) side.

I have inspected the exterior of the CV joints - no tears in the boot or any fluid leaks...

What does "remanned" mean?

Is this a known issue? Seems like you guys are familiar with it?

Thanks! :D

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
yeah right side.....remanned CV huh? we assumed the intermediate shaft was bad.

any chance the cv itself is still okay?

The CV has female splines that engage the intermediate shafts male splines,between rust and wear the mating surfaces are probably worn out.There are some pics here and on LOST that show this very well.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why Troy? What's the deal on the "NEW" CV's? I take it they are a POS, but what is the difference?
Those non-OEM "NEW" CV's are made in china and they can not read the spec sheets correctly.We have been having so much problems with them at work we will not get them anymore,sadly remaned CV's are alot more $$$ then those "NEW" ones.In some apps there are no remaned ones available so OEM is the only choice we offer.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
OK..thought as much, just wanted to be sure.

So, is there a better remann company than others? I will be in the market in the near future for CV's myself, so I would like to only spend the money once.;)

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem a few weeks ago. I posted a thread about a dislocated inner cv. No one bit. Anyways, my pass side inner cv literally came off of the intermediate shaft. When I took the front end apart and inspected it, it appeared that there was never a retaining clip on the end of the intermediate shaft. If there was, the groove it rides in would have been shiney or shown evidence of there having been a clip there. When I called the local Jeep dealer, they said that there was no clip, just the fact that the shaft was between the steering knuckle and the axle was supposed to hold the CV in place. Thank (diety of your choice) someone had posted the entire '05 KJ parts book online. I found the part number for the clip, called the dealer back and ordered it. They look like fools, I got two clips. PN 0506 6064AA. I'll be replacing the intermediate shaft and both CV axles soon. The splines on the CV axle check out ok but the end of the intermedite shaft took a beating.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what Ive seen the intermediate shaft wears out before the cv does. If you let it go long enough it takes out both. Mine is a bit loose but Ive been keeping a close eye on it. Not gotten any worst nor is it making any noise or vibrations.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine was doing just a little sound not much actually had to be going slow between buildings to hear it, out on the road nothing, but from working on others I knew what was coming. When I tore into mine the splines on the intermediate where rough and the clip still there inner splines on the CV still good enough for a spare. replaced both and good as new. NAPA CV only 55 bucks
I have seen them that the intermediate shaft look like someone took a grinder to it!

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, seeing as we're on the subject of axles and shafts and things. Does anyone know if any manufacturers other than DC/Jeep make replacement intermediate shafts. Like say Strange Eng. or someone like that?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Helped a friend swap a new intermediate shaft in last weekend... the old one looked like this:

You must be registered for see images

Old vs. new

You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, seeing as we're on the subject of axles and shafts and things. Does anyone know if any manufacturers other than DC/Jeep make replacement intermediate shafts. Like say Strange Eng. or someone like that?

I haven't found any yet, not really a huge demand so would be surprised if someone else did in a way. But could be. Most I have seen last up into the 130,000/150,000 mile range even lifted

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called JEEP and they want $225 for a new front intermediate shaft. I haven't been able to find any aftermarkets or re-mans either.