From Chevy S10 to Jeep KJ. Tinkering is what I do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyRenegade02

Reaction score
Glad to be at jeepKJ form. I'm am looking forward to start searching how to keep my renegade running.

Started out with an '86 s10. 4-tech was written somewhere under the hood. Replaced pumps, hoses, alternator, starter, brakes, and learned wiring to do the stereo. Great truck.

1997 Explorer sport. Harder to work on. Mostly stereo upgrades on this quest. ****** went out around 200k.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6. This is my forever car. Modded from factory 274hp at crank to estimated 280 at wheels. I'll be able to get around in style while rusty is on ramps.

Wife had a 1998 Jeep Classic 4.0. I loved that jeep. I upgraded the stereo and replace same as earlier s10. I dont have the time but will enjoy any conversion stories getting the I-6 in a KJ

In a 2002 jeep liberty renegade (rusty renage02) with 147k. Bought a rural plot of land and need to get nearly a 1/4 mile through trees and from slight to moderate slope. I feel like I have the tools from working on the mazda to fix the rusty renegade. I got it for a deal but it needs work. When I looked at pics about rusty jeeps, the pics I saw were just the same.

I figured I replace things as they're needed. Take the bolts I take off to the auto store. Put new parts and bolts back on. Change all bushings and any easily replaced parts along the way.

I've replaced the plugs, ignition coils, and transmission fluid. Replaced all the door speakers. Why'd they put amp on the dang speaker? They're replaced now but very weird. Coming from the mazda, things have been a breeze.

Rusty got me through the woods this weekend but the clutch took a toll. I've got a new clutch kit and motor/tran mounts ordered. I plan on tackling it this next weekend if all the parts come in.

Cheers! Glad to find jeepKJ. I'll search and appreciate the knowledge everyone has contributed and will contribute myself, as I learn.

-RustyR02

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Welcome, I also just joined a week ago and have an 03 Renagade.
Replaced the rear diff and transfer case fluid so far.
Working on wire brushing, sanding and painting over all the rust on the underside, getting it ready for winter.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I-6 is too long to install in a KJ, I'll start there

Plus why would you want to put one in there ?

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to be at jeepKJ form. I'm am looking forward to start searching how to keep my renegade running.

Started out with an '86 s10. 4-tech was written somewhere under the hood. Replaced pumps, hoses, alternator, starter, brakes, and learned wiring to do the stereo. Great truck.

1997 Explorer sport. Harder to work on. Mostly stereo upgrades on this quest. ****** went out around 200k.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6. This is my forever car. Modded from factory 274hp at crank to estimated 280 at wheels. I'll be able to get around in style while rusty is on ramps.

Wife had a 1998 Jeep Classic 4.0. I loved that jeep. I upgraded the stereo and replace same as earlier s10. I dont have the time but will enjoy any conversion stories getting the I-6 in a KJ

In a 2002 jeep liberty renegade (rusty renage02) with 147k. Bought a rural plot of land and need to get nearly a 1/4 mile through trees and from slight to moderate slope. I feel like I have the tools from working on the mazda to fix the rusty renegade. I got it for a deal but it needs work. When I looked at pics about rusty jeeps, the pics I saw were just the same.

I figured I replace things as they're needed. Take the bolts I take off to the auto store. Put new parts and bolts back on. Change all bushings and any easily replaced parts along the way.

I've replaced the plugs, ignition coils, and transmission fluid. Replaced all the door speakers. Why'd they put amp on the dang speaker? They're replaced now but very weird. Coming from the mazda, things have been a breeze.

Rusty got me through the woods this weekend but the clutch took a toll. I've got a new clutch kit and motor/tran mounts ordered. I plan on tackling it this next weekend if all the parts come in.

Cheers! Glad to find jeepKJ. I'll search and appreciate the knowledge everyone has contributed and will contribute myself, as I learn.

-RustyR02

I also have a 2002 KJ but mine is an Export 2.5 CRD..bought new 18 years ago.

Watch out when replacing the clutch...the 2002 Jeep KJ Service Manuals will warn you that the Clutch Plate has a slight curve in it to match the curve in the Flywheel. So the Flywheel must Never be machined flat...only remove light scratches with Emory paper!;)

This is assuming you keep the 3.7 KJ engine...I have NO idea what an I6 is...a bigger engine?:confused:

Last edited:

RustyRenegade02

Reaction score
Straight 6 that was in XJ Cherokees, TJs etc
Thanks for the warm welcome. The torque and gritty sound of the straight 6 was my first appreciation for a jeep motor. My brother has had several v-6 jeeps and none really impressed me. Her XJ classic sport survived many years with zero care before I took it over. It always made it home and would getup and go when it had to. The 3.7 does sound good and the gas mileage is decent, but the performance is terrible.

I've notice driving the renegade how short it is. Easy to maneuver the parking lots but definitely too short for the lonnng inline. I've got it on ramps waiting for clutch parts. I did read about the flywheel finish and do not plan to machine anything outside some light elbow grease.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The sound of a GM straight six with split manifolds is a real treat to the ears, after owning 3 XJs ( all bought new and ran for years ) nothing real special about them

Performance is good on KJs , keep up on maintenance , right plugs etc and they will surprise you
I know I've surprised more than one person with mine even lifted regeared etc plus over 21 MPGs at 75 plus cruising down the road

Latest posts