Freeze plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is getting ridiculous... bought my 02 Libby Sport. 2 weeks later, a head gasket goes. I replace both with Victor Reinz gaskets. The one on the passenger side doesn't seal (yes, I had the heads shaved and pressure tested). I get a friend to drive an hour and a half to help replace the passenger side again because of my very bad back and neck that is worthy of 2 surgeries over the course of 9 years. We replace it again. Overheating stops, Runs like a brand new one. Wonderful. Love my Liberty. Here's the "but". But, today, as I was leaving the store, I notice dripping under my Jeep. I get it home, as it is not overheating or any of that jive, get it on the ramps and discover that the water is coming from between the bellhousing and the block. I am thinking freeze plugs because, maybe, someone ran tap water and not distilled. Other than a freeze plug or, God forbid, a cracked block, are there any other places the water could be leaking? Also, will I wind up killing myself or someone else from the aggravation of doing the freeze plugs on the back of the block? The pics attached, if they do indeed attach, show the wet spot on the bottom of the bellhousing. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20140223_164849.jpg
    IMG_20140223_164849.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20140223_164901.jpg
    IMG_20140223_164901.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you did the headgaskets, you did replace the head bolts with brand new ones, and followed the torque to yield procedure to a T, right? Chances are there is a freezeplug in back, but I haven't pulled a trans off a 3.7L/4.7L to be able to say 100%.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New head bolts and followed torque perfectly. Like I said, the only wet spot is in the center of the bellhousin at the VERY BOTTOM. It doesn't seem to be running from up top anywhere but seems to be originating between the bellhousing and the block. Depending on who you ask, there are either 2 or 3 plugs on the back.

Latest posts

Members online