Found Rust hiding under.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same problem here too..:( except my rust is spreading underneath the black plastic along the roof rails. i really want to fix it but i cant find any way to take off the plastic. can anyone help

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
same problem here too..:( except my rust is spreading underneath the black plastic along the roof rails. i really want to fix it but i cant find any way to take off the plastic. can anyone help

The plastic is Velcroed on,use some sort of non marring pry bar to work it up/loose from Jeep. Found crack(not that kind budke)in my paint running along the indentation the rails and trim sit in,think this is where water is getting in to cause the rust in upper right corner and along top of back glass.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked mine today. Very slightly rubbing. I just touched it up with the mopar touch-up paint. Thankfully no rust, no bubbles.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad: d***it! I just checked mine and there's a little bit of bubbling on the outside of the light......but when I unscrewed it and pulled it out the whole plastic screwholder thing ripped out along with paint and rust! I poked at it and it is completely rusted through the metal that is behind the light. I'll post a pic tomorrow but how should I fix this since it's rusted through.

Rauder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked mine also and there it was RUST. Fixed it with primer and paint. Thanks for the heads up before it spread...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn third brake light....@#$! Been through four in five years of ownership....

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad: d***it! I just checked mine and there's a little bit of bubbling on the outside of the light......but when I unscrewed it and pulled it out the whole plastic screwholder thing ripped out along with paint and rust! I poked at it and it is completely rusted through the metal that is behind the light. I'll post a pic tomorrow but how should I fix this since it's rusted through.

A crap load of epoxy.

theholybull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic is Velcroed on,use some sort of non marring pry bar to work it up/loose from Jeep. Found crack(not that kind budke)in my paint running along the indentation the rails and trim sit in,think this is where water is getting in to cause the rust in upper right corner and along top of back glass.

mine is rotting in the same spot on the right corner above the back glass, that and the third break light are the only spots on the whole dang Jeep. Looks like its time to get out the grinder. (woot)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like this is even more reason for me to line-x my roof.

I am thinking roof, below the beltline, bumpers, and flares. That leaves very little paint to actually deal with. I am not ballsy enough to line-X the entire rig like Digger and Fulltimer :p

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went and check and i have NO rust on my 3rd light, window hinges, or roof rails!!! and its an 02 with 130k that spent its whole life in minnesota winters and salt. The only rust i do have is on the tailgate door so thats not bad at all

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I went and check and i have NO rust on my 3rd light, window hinges, or roof rails!!! and its an 02 with 130k that spent its whole life in minnesota winters and salt. The only rust i do have is on the tailgate door so thats not bad at all

Excellent ... they must have trimmed the plastic (3rd brake) housing properly on yours.