Found Rust hiding under.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out the bulb for my third brake light today and found some corrosion hiding underneath. Thought you might like to know.

Here's where I found the paint rubbed away and rust starting to show. Note that it was at the same place on both sides.

You must be registered for see images attach

And here's the culprit. Poor design of the third brake light housing. There are tabs protruding on the back side on both sides. I trimmed them back with a utility knife before reinstalling the lamp assembly.

I scrubbed the affected area with a 3M prep pad and applied a rust neutralizer. Then applied primer with a cotton swab and when it was dry I used a little black enamel, also applied with a cotton swab.

I'm sure that if not caught in time, the cancer would be way harder to get rid of. It would spread out from under the lamp and really be a PITA.

Cheers all

Ian

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up - I'll pull my light off this spring and make sure to do preventative work on it! I know this is a common KJ rust area.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No rust, but the paint is scratched wear you mentioned, ptsb....and the on mine needs to be polished...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will check mine when I do my spring maintenance routine. Thanks for the heads-up ptsb.

Dave

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Grrrrrrr ...and ^%&^*&!

Thanks for the heads up dude ... looks like I have some work to do!

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grrrrrrr ...and ^%&^*&!

Thanks for the heads up dude ... looks like I have some work to do!

That is EXACTLY what mine looked like, except in black of course. What a sh!tty place to let that start to happen. Stoopid engineers.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 23:00 hours here and you got me thinking doing down to have a look...:(

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY what mine looked like, except in black of course. What a sh!tty place to let that start to happen. Stoopid engineers.

Ditto that, I noticed mine last week although mine is a bit more outside if the 3rd light area which is worse....I can't match the paint to fix it.:mad:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I just finished 'dremmeling' mine smooth. It looks like just a half-assed trimming of the plastic housing after it came out of the mold. Vibration rubs it against the paint and rust soon follows.:mad:

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that's all you guys got, you're lucky! I have rust bubbles (and rust coming through) along my passenger side roof drip rail, around my glass liftgate hinges and on the driver's rocker panel in front of the rear tire.

Thanks NY road salt!