Fording Depth??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyMan02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been absent lately as I just moved not to long ago. Moving to the mountains has gave me some fun with the Libby. The Jeep has done great on exploring the Abandoned Railroad bed, Though it got really sticky(Pun Intended). The pic shows what I'm talking about. t had rained a ton so the many pot holes were full of muddy water. No Sweat! 4lo and i went on through, Stock tires and all! I'm wondering what the fording depth is for a stock liberty as on some of them pot holes I ended up sinking to the floorboard. :icon_lol: I near had it Completly stuck in sticky mud on one of them, but a little back and forth and sweating beads(no cell service), It chugged on out. There is several places where you have to ford across a large stream. Hands down, A libby is a serious 4X4.

Attachments

• DSC_1355.jpg
    DSC_1355.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 53

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard halfway to up the grille but not sure. I know breathers have to be moved higher for sure!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the manual states "16 inches of standing water".

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My first response would be to ask if you have looked to see if the vents are even where they should be?
I've seen them tied around the rear diff before so I'd suggest looking to see where they are, make sure the hoses are not broken or torn loose, then extend them as needed . Water may only be 10 inches deep but depending on speed , how much is splashed up during the crossing etc it still may get into the diffs etc.
Also never a good idea to go out alone, a 5 mile walk is no fun after dark with no flashlight, .......trust me :icon_lol:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
20" is what the brochure and manual says. I've had mine in water past the headlights...would I recommend that? :happy175::happy175::happy175: Didn't seem to hurt but it wasn't on purpose.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to change diff fluids after wheelin in mud, regardless where the breathers are. And if you have a stick to wash the bell housing down to get the crap out of there as much as possible. As for wheeling alone, I do it all the time, and I am sure most do too. Even when guys(or gals) go backcountry camping down some forest road you are taking a risk.I have gotten in trouble once, where I had to call for help and wait over an hour for a tug. Cell reception was sketchy too. Needless to say I ordered my winch after that happened.:ROFLJest: You just have to know the limitations of you and your rig, that particular day for me I did not know my limitaions:happy175:

You must be registered for see images attach

Bert

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front dif breather tube was dry rotted and letting water in right at the source. I wouldn't necessarily CHANGE the fluids after wheeling but DEFINITELY check them. I replaced the breather on my front dif and extended it about a foot further back in the engine bay...only about 2 inches of vertical gain but every bit helps. I also don't ford water that's super deep. I've taken water into the cabin before (dry rotted seals) at the bottom of my rear door.

All of that being said...assuming you don't care about flooding your difs (I wouldn't recommend this) or your interior...the next thing you have to worry about is your intake which is at the top of the grille. (Open hood...passenger side right by air box.)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I never ever go into deep water ..............................
:icon_lol: have a shot at a deeper spot but can't find it now
The front breather was tied almost at the top of the battery and still got some water in it on that trip

thats with over 4 inches of lift and 32s

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on that photo, I think what Tom really wants to build now is an amphibious KJ !! :gr_grin:
Any water come in through the doors? :shrug:
Ya you really want to have a plan for diff breathers to be extended and move them as high as possible.
A snorkel is a good idea too. Unless you are real familiar with the water crossing, you may find yourself literally "in too deep"
I've had my KJ in water about 30 inches deep. I still changed out transfer case & front & rear diffs fluids afterwards, to be on the safe side.
Deep water & mud is not good for any unprotected bearings & you better hope all your boots are tight.
Some of the lower electrical connectors may not like this treatment, and you may find yourself replacing the electrical cooling fan in a hurry.
I don't mind driving though shallow water, but I think I will stay away from river crossings and deep mud now!
Power washing mud off afterwards can be a fun blast though!! :icon_lol:

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well nobody told this guy the fording depth!

:happy175:

We were at a locale off roading stomping ground, a huge multi sand pit with a little bit of everything, and the guy did not have a CB, if he did he would have known to stay to the right,but the idiot veered off to the left, and the rest is history:gr_grin:
You should be able to click on the picture to see the rest of the pictures.
Bert

Last edited:

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never ever go into deep water ..............................
:icon_lol: have a shot at a deeper spot but can't find it now
The front breather was tied almost at the top of the battery and still got some water in it on that trip

thats with over 4 inches of lift and 32s

Tom that looks like a fall trip! Nice! Was that a camping trip or just out for the day? That climb out looks interesting and slick:waytogo:

Bert

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We were at a locale off roading stomping ground, a huge multi sand pit with a little bit of everything, and the guy did not have a CB, if he did he would have known to stay to the right,but the idiot veered off to the left, and the rest is history:gr_grin:
Bert
Looks like fun was had by most! :gr_grin:

LibertyMan02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, at 2 pages already! Yes, since it's my DD, i washed it off in 32 F with blasting wind. I did check the breathers. The back one was tied to the axle tube! :emotions34: Front was stock. I don't do this rarely at all for obvious reasons. Just chose the wrong time to check out that section of Roadbed. I'll mod the breathers for maximum height. To those who think a Libby is too watered down to off road stock, think again. It is a serious 4X4 machine.Thanks for the replies. Gonna get me a bumper sticker that says, "EXTREME RAILFAN". Matches me to a tee. :happy175:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, at 2 pages already! Yes, since it's my DD, i washed it off in 32 F with blasting wind. I did check the breathers. The back one was tied to the axle tube! :emotions34: Front was stock. I don't do this rarely at all for obvious reasons. Just chose the wrong time to check out that section of Roadbed. I'll mod the breathers for maximum height. To those who think a Libby is too watered down to off road stock, think again. It is a serious 4X4 machine.Thanks for the replies. Gonna get me a bumper sticker that says, "EXTREME RAILFAN". Matches me to a tee. :happy175:

If it was tied to the axle tube its probably time for a rear gear oil change!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom that looks like a fall trip! Nice! Was that a camping trip or just out for the day? That climb out looks interesting and slick:waytogo:

Bert

Badlands Off Road Park in Indiana
think there was 19-20 KJs there that weekend from 3-4 states and TonyCRD from Spain (old member on here and LOST that came to visit for a couple of weeks)
Great time

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bert

Tell you guys changed some fluids and it drove out of there. :blah:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you keep the water just under the spare tire...

You must be registered for see images