Anyone on here have a Ford Explorer? Advice needed, please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides I'd rather push a Ford then drive a Chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I'm a Ford guy.....................................

I'm half ford half chrysler:rofl:

I'm in the Ford ASSET program at my county college

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd only drive a Ford only if you gave it to me, I'm a Chevy guy. Coincidentally, I received a free one from my father in law, when he could no longer drive. A 1997 5.0 that he bought new. He was meticulous with service, the thing had 200k miles on it, and you wouldn't know it by driving it. With that, I can't knock the model, although the one you're looking at isn't the same. It had a few wear items that needed fixing, but considering the miles, not bad. I wouldn't have touched the thing with a 10 foot pole otherwise if I didn't know the background. That's the chance you take with any car or truck you buy, how well was it cared for. Any previous service records that one might have would be handy to get.

Last edited:

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Can't really contribute anything to the Ford Explorer discussion since my Ranger is a 98 and an OHV (metal Tstat housing too) so nothing like the new one being considered. I've had it for about 10 years and 100k. I've had 4 Fords over the years and 5 Chevy/Pontiac. I'd call it a draw for quality except genuine Ford parts and Motorcraft are expensive. Parts for the Jeep are way more reasonable.

Actually have a Ford/Jeep/Dodge/Toyota/Subaru right now. I'm kinda liking the Mopars.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and bought it. Got a great deal on it. $3500.00 plus my trade. 2001 Suzuki XL-7. KBB says it is only worth about $1200 to $1600 as a trade in, so basically I got it for $4700.00, because it was not Best on the scale of Good, Better, Best. More like a Good.

I did drive it again before signing. Took it off road in 4WD and checked the operation of it. All worked great. Found out the truck was previously owned by a major cell phone service provider, so I would venture to guess that the maintenance was done properly at the correct intervals. I feel much more confident than I did earlier today. Only time will tell if I made the right choice. My wife is very happy, so as far as that goes. It was a great decision! Happy wife, Happy life! :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've admitted many times that I'm no expert, but the fact that it was a fleet vehicle probably means your hunch about regular maintenance is correct.

Hope your wife enjoys it! :)

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most fleets are leased these days, and lease companies aren't like they used to be. They won't spend a penny more than needed. Have someone who knows how to check the trans fluid check it and see if it needs serviced.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most fleets are leased these days, and lease companies aren't like they used to be. They won't spend a penny more than needed. Have someone who knows how to check the trans fluid check it and see if it needs serviced.
X2..................

95% of fleet vehicles I see will do zero scheduled maintenance besides oil changes and air filters.No trans service,no coolant service,no fuel filters,no alignments period unless required by repair.Some companies though do some but it's very rare.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with above , fleets get just what they have to have. I had state supplied Taurus(s) for several years for work, they got just what was needed and that was it. When it came time to trade them off, nothing was done then. Everytime they would say no more oil changes then I knew I'd be getting a new car in a few months. Had one the brakes were bad the last three months I had it but since it was going to be traded in they did nothing

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some research and found where the truck came from and which Ford dealer did the services when needed. Then I called and talked to the service manager and although he could not go into too much specifics, he was able to verify that the vehicle had been owned by an individual up until a minimum of 3 years ago. He also was able to tell me that the service record is the best record he has ever seen. He said the previous owner went overkill on the service. He said it was better than his own truck service record. I asked specifically about the transmission service, and he said that even though it is not due until 150,000 it was done at 140,000 and I should be good to go for at least another 130,000 to 140,000 miles. I do have a small issue with the trip odometer and avg MPG computer, but other than that all is working great and it drives like a dream. My wife is walking on cloud 9! Yay me!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! When I was driving a leased fleet vehicle I was the same way. Brought it in for regular service before time was due always. I put 60k on a 2011 ford escape in one year and it still ran great. For my previous job my patients could not afford a breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter