Question: Purpose of hidden vents in rear quarter panel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
In playing with Bert and wiring up lights and a better sound system, I was reminded of the hidden vents in each rear quarter panel. On my 07, the driver side has a filter element, the passenger does not.

What are these vents for? are these just "overpressure ports" to keep the widows from blowing a seal on hot days? (ala old German cars) Or are they part of the climate control?
Ill be darned if I can find a straight answer on these. The former seems silly, and the latter makes no sense as they are behind the cargo area trim and behind the rear exterior trim.

Why does one have a filter element and the other does not? I originally found these while applying my roll on surface armor, and found the driver side was packed solid with dust and dirt. I washed the element and replaced it.

In the Parts Fiche these are listed as "Exhauster, quarter panel" P/N 55037458AB. This makes we wonder if my second guess above is correct.

Mainly, I understand why those dudes on the web that go deep fording with their libby's end up flooding out and am curious why the done seal these up and move them above their max fording depth.

You must be registered for see images attach

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In collision repair I was always told they were venting ports that would direct the air to aid the doors to close easier, and you can really see them vent when you do.

The filter added while I'll assume had an engineering purpose, I feel aids the dealerships pockets more than the vehicle, I'm curious of its purpose.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
In collision repair I was always told they were venting ports that would direct the air to aid the doors to close easier, and you can really see them vent when you do.

The filter added while I'll assume had an engineering purpose, I feel aids the dealerships pockets more than the vehicle, I'm curious of its purpose.
This makes complete sense!

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My Dodge Ram was like this. Unless you had the window down the tiniest bit, closing the door required an extra push, because it never fully latched.