For anyone who is thinking about RELOCATING THE SPARE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylewilley

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I finished relocating my spare and personally I really don't know why Jeep ever thought it was a good idea to mount it how they did but I guess it just gives people like me something to work on :p . Anyway I am really happy with what I did and I figured I would post up some pictures so anybody that is thinking about doing it could look at the pictures and that would help their decision. Here they are:

Outside view

You must be registered for see images attach

Regular size spare fits perfectly layed flat

I have a DC to AC converter for my 12V port in the cargo area so I can hook up my laptop anywhere and use the available wifi :p

Here are just some more outside edited pics of my jeep.. the black on the bumpers,fenders,gas cap, grille is NOT stock, I personally sprayed it all with truck bed liner, it was originally all blue like the rest but I like it muchhh better now. aahh I can't wait to get some wheel spacers to widen this thing out and get my mud tires back on (i have just normal tread 235/85 16s on it right now because i drive 200 miles four days a week for the next year..)!!

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I am actually thinking of mounting a second spare tire (Ala Land Rover) on the hood on my (our) KJ!
I figured I'd go to the wrecking yard an buy an additional rear tire carrier and mount it on the hood of our Liberty and have a second tire up front on the hood.
Who cares about fuel economy... It ***** anyway!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually thinking of mounting a second spare tire (Ala Land Rover) on the hood on my (our) KJ!
I figured I'd go to the wrecking yard an buy an additional rear tire carrier and mount it on the hood of our Liberty and have a second tire up front on the hood.
Who cares about fuel economy... It ***** anyway!
Guess seeing where you are going is not a concern for you?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
One word....visibility!! Once you lift the KJ you won't be able to see sh*t if you mount the tire on your hood....might want to rethink that one.;)

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this too but I'm going with a roof basket and mount it on the roof, I've seen some tjkj2002 pics like that

kylewilley

Reaction score
why dont you just paint the windshield black and floor it!!!!!! :D

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to the OP
the reasons the tire is on the back are simple
#1 storage space
they put the spare for XJ's in side and every one complained about it ,takes up to much room
#2 ever change a flat out on the trail?
ever see what the flat looks like?
my TJ is a trail mostly rig and I still would not want to put a trail flat in side it

sure the roof mounted spare looks cool
until you need it
getting a 50-75# rim and tire on and off of a 6' high rig when you are only 5' 10"
is not going to be fun and that is for the tires that fit a KJ
it took 2+ men to get a 35" tall swamper off and back on the top of a lifted ZJ when he blew a side wall ,he now has a rear mounted tire carrier

I like them on the back
I guess it is just a Jeep thing

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to the OP
#1 storage space
they put the spare for XJ's in side and every one complained about it ,takes up to much room
my TJ is a trail mostly rig and I still would not want to put a trail flat in side it

until you need it
getting a 50-75# rim and tire on and off of a 6' high rig when you are only 5' 10"
it took 2+ men to get a 35" tall swamper off and back on the top of a lifted ZJ when he blew a side wall ,he now has a rear mounted tire carrier

I like them on the back
Yep.I had my spare mounted on my roof rack till I got the swing away carrier,it sucked getting that 90lbs tire/wheel up there and down.The KK's spare location is very bad for a Jeep(blarg).

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
to the OP
#1 storage space

until you need it

I like them on the back

So the hood should be much easier!
Just drag the damn thing off the hood! (It's only paint!)
Gravity... One of natures most wonderful things!
Drag it off and roll it around and then minimal lifting!:D

Last edited:

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda like the idea of the hood thing.... like land rovers but Libbys do not have that rugged ********* look the Rover has ... Youll need a front grilled guard or something to make it look badder then i guess it could have a certain real rugged look. :p Its YOUR JEEP !! So i guess wether we like it or not, your the one thats gonna do the paint job. I see pretty crazy ideas here which most i wouldn't do to my KJ because i think it looks ugly or so... but still have to respect the fact that to that guy it might be very usefull. Heck, if you really need 2 spare tires, you kinda have a point there. Where do i mount it ??

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't try this but these are the items that I would consider:

1) Address the need for an extra prop rod(s) to support the hood when you are working under the engine bay. Those gas struts will be useless at this point

2) Is the hood hinge system capable of holding that aditional weight and allowing the hood to open and close like it's supposed to?

3) With the tire on the the hood, where will you mount hood louvers? I think extracting heat from the engine bay will be more critical than having a secondary spare tire

4) What about a custom hood that is recessed to keep the tire out of the wind stream and to provide improved mounting [see item #5]

5) Any concern about the hood and extra weight during an accident? More so - if someone rearends the KJ, there is the potential for the tire to come loose and hit the windshield.

jtp1661

Reaction score
The Spare tire on the back is one of the best looking parts of the vehicle in my opinion. I think they made a mistake taking it off on the KK's.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Spare tire on the back is one of the best looking parts of the vehicle in my opinion. I think they made a mistake taking it off on the KK's.

x2. I would relocate my spare to that spot if it wasn't already there.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
KK and XJ owners are paying extra to mount their spares on the back, using ridiculous looking apparatus (since their tailgates dont swing open) and you guys wanna get rid of it.

Keep the spare where it belongs, just don't cover it up with some bunny tail looking fluffy spare covers.

While you are at mounting it places you are not supposed to, here is another one.
You must be registered for see images

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't try this but these are the items that I would consider:

1) Address the need for an extra prop rod(s) to support the hood when you are working under the engine bay. Those gas struts will be useless at this point

2) Is the hood hinge system capable of holding that aditional weight and allowing the hood to open and close like it's supposed to?

3) With the tire on the the hood, where will you mount hood louvers? I think extracting heat from the engine bay will be more critical than having a secondary spare tire

4) What about a custom hood that is recessed to keep the tire out of the wind stream and to provide improved mounting [see item #5]

5) Any concern about the hood and extra weight during an accident? More so - if someone rearends the KJ, there is the potential for the tire to come loose and hit the windshield.

Good point about the hood props and struts....you would never be able to get the hood open with the tire strapped to it...and are you going to take the spare off the hood everytime you need to top up the washer fluid.:p

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my 245/75/16 MT load E today and the idea of relocating the spare to the roof is out of the question that thing weights a ton, couldn't wait for the lift so I went ahead and mounted the spare, it almost didn't fit in the molding or the rear bumper and I defenetly can't open my glass window :( n but it looks awesome :)

Members online

No members online now.