Fog light, bulb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anybody used a 55W 9006 in place or the 40W 9145? or any bigger wattage bulb? looking to get a little more light out, without adding more lights. but want to make sure im not going to melt the housing. i mean its only 15W diff but to plastic that might be alot. thanks

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you will be fine, but yes, those housings are very touchy when it comes to heat. You would have to just try it out and pay attention to the housing to see how it is working. I have tint/rock film on my Charger fog lamps and I have to have them turned off whenever I am at a standstill or travelling at slow speed because they will melt if not constantly being fanned by moving air.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 9005 100 watt high beam bulbs in my fogs,no problems with the extra wattage.You need to trim about a 1/16" off of one of the 9005's tang's to let it fit into the KJ foglamp housings,but easy to do.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a 'how-to' write-up over on Huseyin's 'Jeep Projects' site. You'll need to register to see the pics (I think you still need to register) but it's free. Just look for 'Project #14'.

EDIT: OK, I just checked after logging out over there and I could see all the pics so I guess that requirement is gone now...

Last edited:

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what bulb has the same plug as the 9145? the 9006 or the 9005? i know one has 2 notches and one only has 1. thanks for the info, thats guna be the next mod.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 9005 has the same base as the 9145 - I used two 9005 connectors to wire the factory fogs I bought off a KJ owner in my Jeep today. I think I'll wait on the conversion until I see how these look from the drivers seat.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what bulb has the same plug as the 9145? the 9006 or the 9005? i know one has 2 notches and one only has 1. thanks for the info, thats guna be the next mod.

I don't think either of them have the same base. I have also installed the 9005 blubs and modified the second notch so the light will fit into the housing. So far I have had no problems. I did replace them 1 time but that was because they burnt out. Been running them for over 3 years as fog lights.

Rush345

Reaction score
I used the Silver Star 9005's and it does make a night and day difference. They work great and I wished I had done it a long time ago:)

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually found that Hella has 80W 9006 bulbs not 100W, but for the price of 4 of them I can get 2 Hella 500's and just upgrade them to 100W bulbs. Same wattage increase, less melted plastic.