F'n furiouus at Jiffy lube.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh this could have been such a good thread for me today with all the Jiffy Lube/alarm/lights-killing-battery/RRO stuff...but I'm old, fat, grumpy and simply too tired to reply to any of it with my usual cynicism... :)

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually prefer a simple notify of an aftermarket alarm when I write vehicles if it has one. Though its a rare occasion if I am told. When I wrote up main service, I used to check the keys if it had an aftermarket alarm and made sure it was disabled.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While there is no need to call anyone an idiot, I have to agree with tjkj2002. This is no alarm shop, it's not even a automotive repair shop. It's Jiffy Lube for gosh sakes. They hire off the street kids to perform oil changes. If I had a aftermarket alarm, I would disable it myself instead of chancing any issues.
Mark

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on cars as a body tech for over 40 years, I HATED aftermarket alarms. I can't even guess how many times we had to slim jim door locks open because the stupid things armed themselves when you shut the door. Or have it go off in the shop with no idea how shut the damn thing off. The average guy has no clue how to disarm one that has a mind of its own.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on cars as a body tech for over 40 years, I HATED aftermarket alarms. I can't even guess how many times we had to slim jim door locks open because the stupid things armed themselves when you shut the door. Or have it go off in the shop with no idea how shut the damn thing off. The average guy has no clue how to disarm one that has a mind of its own.

What's funny is that happened this morning but I disarmed the thing before I got out of the vehicle this morning at work. Sure enough I doubled checked the keys and it was after market and it showed it was armed to the teeth. So I disabled it and shut the door after moving it forward to keep from locking when I closed them.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something but why can't they just press the button on the keyfob if it goes off?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something but why can't they just press the button on the keyfob if it goes off?

Apparently those who work at oil change shops must be even bigger idiots than those who automatically arm their alarm simply out of habit.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you got a key chain with 15 keys and 4 FOB's and all the buttons on the FOB's are worn so the markings are no longer there kinda makes it hard.Plus there are so many brands with many different disarm methods.I just disconnect the battery or let the alarm go off till the boss gets mad and calls the owner.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even like having the one factory fob. I couldn't imagine carrying around a set of keys with mutliples on them...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When you got a key chain with 15 keys and 4 FOB's and all the buttons on the FOB's are worn so the markings are no longer there kinda makes it hard.Plus there are so many brands with many different disarm methods.I just disconnect the battery or let the alarm go off till the boss gets mad and calls the owner.

My sister has 3 hanging on her key ring, each car has a different alarm, each one you do differently, each one is a PITA in my book. So why should anyone be expected to stand there punching buttons and trying to determine how to shut it off and which one it is. If it was me I would start cutting and ripping :ROFLJest:
The 03 Renegade I picked up had an alarm. had to jump start it and all of a sudden alarm starts going off, took the PO 3 or 4 minutes to get it off . I threw him the keys since there was no way I knew what to hit.
If you are taking your vehicle in somewhere to have work done, you should have enough "common sense" to shut the alarm off , if not then you get whatever is coming to you. :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would venture a guess that the whole business from the Thread Starter about the alarm was kind of a throw-in. His real problem was the scratch. It's kind of like yelling at your girlfriend for wrecking your car and throwing in the fact that you don't like her dress either. One is a "real" problem and the other is not. :)

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would venture a guess that the whole business from the Thread Starter about the alarm was kind of a throw-in. His real problem was the scratch. It's kind of like yelling at your girlfriend for wrecking your car and throwing in the fact that you don't like her dress either. One is a "real" problem and the other is not. :)

Soooo...it's kinda like when the lady totaled my '67 Mustang by trying to make it into a Drive-Thru at 50 mph, and I was ranting and raving like a lunatic because the my new interior was covered in a just-recently-purchased strawberry shake (because I was really in the mood for that shake!!) while bleeding from all glass and going into shock from 6 broken ribs?! I guess I can see that... :gr_grin:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo...it's kinda like when the lady totaled my '67 Mustang by trying to make it into a Drive-Thru at 50 mph, and I was ranting and raving like a lunatic because the my new interior was covered in a just-recently-purchased strawberry shake (because I was really in the mood for that shake!!) while bleeding from all glass and going into shock from 6 broken ribs?! I guess I can see that... :gr_grin:

WTH??? ughh.....
:favorites68:

got a link to that news story?

This thread is so going way off topic

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Does he know for sure the good old boys from Jiffy Lube even did the scratch?
Could of been another customer:shrug: or who knows, without watching it being scratched its anyones guess
I can see being upset about it, I would of been to a point but anytime you go anywhere and walk away from your Jeep a thousand different things can happen to it.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No...that happened in 1983...no news coverage that I recall.

Off-topic is way more fun. :gr_grin:

1983 must of been a bad year
Thats when a lady in a Chev Caprice ran a stop sign, hit me ( while driving a 1978 Olds 98 ) turned me completely around in the road and she went another 135 foot up the road. Just so happened E-Squad was 2 cars behind me , they came up got me out of my car. She then ran up and starting beating on my chest and head and screaming that since I was driving so fast that she didn't see me coming. :happy175::happy175: Didn't matter she ran the stop sign ya know

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the OP left his sun visor down, then the scratch could have been considered his fault for leaving a windshield vision obstruction. If so, he should have left the owners manual open to the page pertaining to the visor to show the "oil technician" how to operate it. :happy175:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2 happiest days of boat ownership is the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.
Would you say your above statement is something similar to this scenario? lol

Quite possibly. ;)

I was wrong about the year, though. It was 1982. I must be losing it... :icon_frown:

Members online

No members online now.