First time using 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires do you have. It rains a lot here in Western Washington and I am getting tired of drifting every time I take a corner.

Most A/T tires would be ALOT better than the stock tires.

Tirerack is a good place to look at reviews. Revos are good, my geo's are good.

tdamocles

Reaction score
2.2hi only(rain)

4hi and 4lo should only be used on surfaces that are "slippery" or allows the F and R wheels to slip to prevent driveline bind(ice,snow,gravel,mud).

You can shift into 4hi at any speed upto 55mph,just let of the gas and shift then reapply the gas.

If you ever look at the JEEP website they recommend 4hi(part time 4WD) on wet surfaces...???

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ever look at the JEEP website they recommend 4hi(part time 4WD) on wet surfaces...???
But that is taking into account the crappy tires that come stock and can barely get traction on fresh asphalt.With good tires you can break the t-case if driven in part time on a paved road that is wet(like from rain),it can happen,wanna take that chance?The faster you go the greater the risk,at say 5mph you'll be okay for very short distances but after 5mph your risk is really high.I have seen a t-case blow apart in part time 4wd on a paved road only after traveling 10ft in reverse,no turning either,and a new t-case(literly brand new,it was just installed a week before at a dealership).

JMSMN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
front and rear gear ratios

OK, so in my jeep i have the 3.73 gears I believe, so does that mean that the rear is 3.73 and the front is like 3.72 or something really close. I want to pur 4.10's in eventually, when I buy those aftermarket, with the front and the rear be trully 4.10's. So I could technically drive my jeep in 4WD part time and be safe? Am new here, bought 06 sport two weeks ago. Thanks

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so in my jeep i have the 3.73 gears I believe, so does that mean that the rear is 3.73 and the front is like 3.72 or something really close. I want to pur 4.10's in eventually, when I buy those aftermarket, with the front and the rear be trully 4.10's. So I could technically drive my jeep in 4WD part time and be safe? Am new here, bought 06 sport two weeks ago. Thanks
The rear gears will be 4.10's and the fronts will be labeled 4.10's but are actually 4.09's.This configuration will be the same for any 4wd vehicle untill you get up to a 2.5ton+ axles like Rockwells.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But that is taking into account the crappy tires that come stock and can barely get traction on fresh asphalt.With good tires you can break the t-case if driven in part time on a paved road that is wet(like from rain),it can happen,wanna take that chance?The faster you go the greater the risk,at say 5mph you'll be okay for very short distances but after 5mph your risk is really high.I have seen a t-case blow apart in part time 4wd on a paved road only after traveling 10ft in reverse,no turning either,and a new t-case(literly brand new,it was just installed a week before at a dealership).

Yeah, you don't want to drive with 4hi or 4lo on high traction surface. There is 4hi, 4lo, and 4 oh no @#! I forgot to shift it back to 2hi! :eek: