First time using 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I've been reading the posts and I have a question. This is my first 4wd experience.

My Jeep: 2005 Liberty (KJ), automatic, 3.7 engine.

My 4wd lever has the following settings: 2hi/4hi/N/4lo

under what conditions should I use each one:
1. light snow / deep snow
2. rain
3. icy road,
4. off road/gravel,
5. rocks

Also I read that the best way to go from driving to one of the setting is to slow down to about 3 miles/hr and do the shift.

-should I put it in neutral before I do it and can I do it from "D" (drive)?

THANKS!!!!!!!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I've been reading the posts and I have a question. This is my first 4wd experience.

My Jeep: 2005 Liberty (KJ), automatic, 3.7 engine.

My 4wd lever has the following settings: 2hi/4hi/N/4lo

under what conditions should I use each one:
1. light snow / deep snow
2. rain
3. icy road,
4. off road/gravel,
5. rocks

Also I read that the best way to go from driving to one of the setting is to slow down to about 3 miles/hr and do the shift.

-should I put it in neutral before I do it and can I do it from "D" (drive)?

THANKS!!!!!!!!
1.2hi for light snow---4hi for deep snow
2.2hi only
3.4hi
4.4hi or 4lo
5.4lo only

4hi and 4lo should only be used on surfaces that are "slippery" or allows the F and R wheels to slip to prevent driveline bind(ice,snow,gravel,mud).

You can shift into 4hi at any speed upto 55mph,just let of the gas and shift then reapply the gas.

4lo----You can either be stopped,put ****** in "N" and shift into 4lo then shift ****** into gear---or---while rolling about 2-3mph place ****** in "N" and then pull t-case shifter into 4lo and then place the ****** back in gear.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is just my opinion/experience:

1-4 use 4Hi
5 - either 4Hi or 4Lo, probably more Lo

Shifting? From 2wd to 4Hi, be under 55mph and pull the lever. I like to take my foot off the gas. For 4 lo, be rolling at about 3 mph or so, put the TRANS in Neutral, then slip the T-case into Neutral and over into 4lo.

DO NOT drive in 4hi or 4lo on any type of hardpacked dry surface!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is just my opinion/experience:

1-4 use 4Hi
5 - either 4Hi or 4Lo, probably more Lo

Shifting? From 2wd to 4Hi, be under 55mph and pull the lever. I like to take my foot off the gas. For 4 lo, be rolling at about 3 mph or so, put the TRANS in Neutral, then slip the T-case into Neutral and over into 4lo.

DO NOT drive in 4hi or 4lo on any type of hardpacked dry surface!
4hi in the rain:confused:? Get some better tires and learn how to drive,I have never used 4hi in the rain,no reason for it.You can damage your t-case on wet roads(hard roads) in 4hi,there is alot more traction then you think.Good tires actually grip better when wet,it's when you got standing water and high vehicle speed in which you run into problems,plus the KJ is to heavy for 4hi on wet roads.

I can spin my rear tires on dry pavement but not on wet pavement,my tires have more traction when wet(softer rubber then other tires).

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owners manual

1. 4HI / 4LOW if needed. Don't bury the Jeep in snow.
2. 2HI 99.9% of the time. 4HI or good tires during extremely heavy rain or through puddles.
3. 4HI.
4. 2HI on well maintained gravel roads and 4HI through crappy gravel, fields, etc.
5. 4LOW most of the time.
6. You forgot mud. 4HI for a little mud. 4LOW for deep mud. Don't bury the Jeep.

Here is a link to the Jeep Liberty owners manuals. Download it a save a copy on your computer. Read it before you take it too far off road.
http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html?year=2006&nameplate=Liberty

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
along with this topic i've read different opinions... what do we use 4wheel part time for?
The KJ was offered with 2 different t-cases----the Command-Trac and the Select-Trac.

Command-trac-------

2hi,4hi(part time),N,and 4lo

Select-Trac-------

2hi,4part time,4full time,N,and 4lo

"Part Time" is just that,part time use on slippery surfaces(or loose like gravel),the t-case locks the F/R driveshafts together and they spin the same speed at all times.The F/R diffs have very slightly different gaer ratios(mine is 4.09 in front,4.10 in the rear) to prevent "fish tailing" in mud,so if driven in part time(4hi) on hard/dry surfaces the will be driveline bind and can break the t-case or diffs.

"Full Time" is just that,you can use it full time(or all the time).The select trac t-case has a center diff that allows the F/R driveshafts to spin at different speeds allowing you to drive in 4hi(full time only) on hard/dry surfaces.When put into 4hi part time or 4lo the select trac t-case locks that center diff and can not be driven on hard/dry surfaces.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4hi in the rain:confused:? Get some better tires and learn how to drive,I have never used 4hi in the rain,no reason for it.You can damage your t-case on wet roads(hard roads) in 4hi,there is alot more traction then you think.Good tires actually grip better when wet,it's when you got standing water and high vehicle speed in which you run into problems,plus the KJ is to heavy for 4hi on wet roads.

I can spin my rear tires on dry pavement but not on wet pavement,my tires have more traction when wet(softer rubber then other tires).

Whoops - my bad. No 4wd in rain, I was thinking of my select-trac. I used to use FT4hi when I had the SR-A's. I don't anymore, it's 2wd now. That's what I get for rushing through a post before lunch.

No worries, I can drive - I mean, if you need someone to pick you up after the police break up a street race, I'm your man. Just don't blame me when Johnny Tran comes and shoots the nawwws tank. ;)

Last edited:

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple physics will tell you that during a turn, the front axle turns more than the rear axle. When you use part-time it locks the front and rear axles together, you do the math. :)

Yeah - I'm aware that that would be the case in 4-Low or 4-Part Time. What I read TJKJ to be talking about was driving in 4-High or 4-Full Time, without noting that he was talking about the transfer case other than the one which I have, thus my question of "how?" (But thanks ever so much for your explanation of "simple physics". All we simple folk do appreciate it.)

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I'm aware that that would be the case in 4-Low or 4-Part Time. What I read TJKJ to be talking about was driving in 4-High or 4-Full Time, without noting that he was talking about the transfer case other than the one which I have, thus my question of "how?" (But thanks ever so much for your explanation of "simple physics". All we simple folk do appreciate it.)

Im pretty sure he means its not ok to use Part-Time on roads that are just wet.

Its 100% ok to use Full-Time on wet roads or dry roads. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm referring to part time 4wd,the select trac is just junk anyway,to weak.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the real strength difference between the command-trac and select-trac case? How many people have actually broken a select-trac case do to it being "weaker"?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the real strength difference between the command-trac and select-trac case? How many people have actually broken a select-trac case do to it being "weaker"?
About 20%-25% weaker,more costly to fix,virtually no aftermarket support.

Older XJ's with the select-trac are starting to have problem,can't get it out of full-time 4wd,no 2wd and no 4-low.Very bad and unreliable shifting mechanism in them.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tires do you have. It rains a lot here in Western Washington and I am getting tired of drifting every time I take a corner.
Interco Trxus MT's,265/75R16(31.9" tall),$114 each from 4WheelParts.

Highly recommend them for wet roads,mud(very good in deep mud),snow,and ice(sipped already,very good traction on ice for a aggresive MT tire).Better then average on rocks,very good on wet rocks.Very good price.

The bad-----very soft tire,about 12,000 miles and have 65% tread left(but at there price a very good deal),noisy on road(though I like the loud tires).Can be hard to balance.

Overall a very good tire and would recommend them to any that want more traction in all surfaces with a killer look.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 20%-25% weaker,more costly to fix,virtually no aftermarket support.

Older XJ's with the select-trac are starting to have problem,can't get it out of full-time 4wd,no 2wd and no 4-low.Very bad and unreliable shifting mechanism in them.

tjkj.......Maby selec-trac is weaker than command trac so I won't debate that.

1) I use full-time in the rain.......on patchy snow where the roads are part snow and part pavement, and sometimes on dry curvy mountain roads with o/d locked out (to keep the ****** from searching for gears). I like the full-time feature for my use.

2) I use part-time on heavy snow and on the dirt mountain roads around here. I also use it on the slick and slimey boat ramp launching and retreving.

3) When I am going off road around here I get in 4lo and put the a/t in first gear. It just keeps the ****** from shifting around due to the lower gearing, and keeps me in the higher rpm and torque range. I'm going slow anyway. The terrain is pretty rough.

Using it like this I have not broke the t-case...........yet (fingers crossed). I don"t really expect it to break as I don't think I am abusing it. Besides, I am just using it as a Jeep.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.