4wd lever loose, easy fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Libertard2k6

Reaction score
4wd lever is loose, Im not sure when it happened, went to engage 4wd and the lever is loose/no tension. What could it be, any pics/step-by-steps of what I need to fix would be appreciated. Heavy snow coming in this week so I’d like to get this fixed as it’s my only 4wd vehicle and I drive for work lol

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess you've got this fixed already, but if not this is what I did on my first KJ that was missing the bushing for the cable to transfer case lever. You can either fabricate or buy a bushing to fit the T-case lever to the cable end.
Digression- (Just get under the vehicle with some calipers and measure the pin on the T-case lever as well as the ID and width of the shaft cable end. Now you've got your bushing dimensions. McMaster Carr will have bushings or get some brass rod in the appropriate OD. You can fab a bushing with a hacksaw and a drill. If you have a lathe then that would be better obviously.)
Assemble the bushing to the T-case lever and cable end. Now put a large diameter washer on over the lever shaft. Lock it in place with a push-on retaining clip.

Latest posts

Members online