First Time Mudding - Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trooper

Reaction score
Took the Jeep trail riding for the first time this past weekend. I found a bunch of nice water/mud holes and got her nice and dirty.

Is there anything I need to do with regards to fluids? Someone at work said I need to change the transmission fluid because I probably got water in through the vents. Now, this is coming from a kid with a '89 Bronco II and doesn't realize that vehicles have been significantly updated since then.

All the same, I'd rather be safe than sorry and drop the ****** or something else.

Thanks for your help.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Considering how high the vents are mounted (in the engine compartment, close to the firewall), you'd have to get in some really DEEP water to worry much about that. I believe the vent runs up the transmission dipstick.

Trooper

Reaction score
Thanks. I was also talking to a friend of mine who was saying how back in 2002, there was this huge industry test to see who was the best off rode. Apparentyly only Liberty and Grand Cherokee were the only one who even survived the test. Everyone else broke.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be on the safe side and check all your fluids.

If the engine oil or gear oil looks like a chocolate milkshake,change them ASAP.If the trans,PS fluid,or T-case fluid looks like a cherry milkshake change them ASAP.

It's always good to check the fluids after puddle jumping or mudbogging.Don't forget to wash the undercarriage real well also as that mud will promote faster corrosion and bad seals(leaking seals) much faster then a clean undercarriage.

Trooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I changed the oil tonight just because it was due. It looked black so that's a good sign. I'll check the other fluids too.

One weird thing though, my Jeep is black and I had washed it at the car wash using only the sprayer and not the brush that was available. It looked clean, but once it dried, it looked all cloudy white and dirty. I washed it again tonight, this time totally by hand and it looks better. It's dark now so I'll have to look at it again in the morning.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.