First time liberty owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2005 liberty sport today with 185,000 mile. Bought as is. ($3100.00) I know it needs a tune up fluid and filters. Shocks and struts. Sway bar bushings and links.
Now for a couple of things I'm not sure of. Has a slight shutter when accelerating. Put it on neutral shutter goes away. I joints look really rusty. But I'm thinking torque converter. Opinions.
Next it has the factory 6cd stereo. But only the left speakers are working. Nothing out of the right side. Wire issue or head unit?

Thanks.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a 2005 liberty sport today with 185,000 mile. Bought as is. ($3100.00) I know it needs a tune up fluid and filters. Shocks and struts. Sway bar bushings and links.
Now for a couple of things I'm not sure of. Has a slight shutter when accelerating. Put it on neutral shutter goes away. I joints look really rusty. But I'm thinking torque converter. Opinions.
Next it has the factory 6cd stereo. But only the left speakers are working. Nothing out of the right side. Wire issue or head unit?

Thanks.
You must be registered for see images

With 185,000 you need to replace the springs and shocks ( no struts only shocks) all the way around, bet its at least an inch lower than new stock
check the rear CV in the front driveshaft as well, boot goes south and dirt destroys CV making a vibration

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea shocks in the front not struts. That's one of the first major replacements I'm doing. Front and rear. Tomorrow is clean up day. Rug doctor and alot of elbow grease. It more than a little dirty on the inside. Then fluid change and tune up Thursday. Shocks in two weeks. Debating on doing the lift kit when I do the shocks might wait till Christmas then

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea shocks in the front not struts. That's one of the first major replacements I'm doing. Front and rear. Tomorrow is clean up day. Rug doctor and alot of elbow grease. It more than a little dirty on the inside. Then fluid change and tune up Thursday. Shocks in two weeks. Debating on doing the lift kit when I do the shocks might wait till Christmas then

With the weak 310 lb springs these have , replacing the shocks without new springs is like putting on new socks with worn out/ hole in the sole tennis shoes . :icon_lol:

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with her and hope she's solid. Pretty cool little off roaders at the $3000.00 mark.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with Tom. Wait till you're ready to replace both.

Bob

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't know the history start by assuming it needs everything. Transmission service, spark plugs, differential and transfer case fluid, coolant and air filter. Go with "regular" copper plugs. After you spend some time under it changing all the drive train fluids you'll have a pretty good idea on its overall condition.

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got a vibration from 40 up. Had the tires check and ballanced. Replaceing u joints next day off. If that doesn't cure the issue pulling front drive shaft. What I knew it needed when I bought it. All bushings front and back. Front bearings. Shocks all the way around. It need tires 40% tread left. Doing a simple 2.5" lift so I can go with the 245/70r16 before winter hits here hard. Good lift by next fall.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't discount worn tires as source of vibes...if they haven't been rotated, especially...HTH