Weird lighting problem with my 2002 liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Josiah

Reaction score
I can use some guidance on solving a strange issue I'm having with my lights on my 02 Liberty. It started with the dash lights going out when I stepped on the brakes. The bulb holders on the right rear looked corroded (brake light was also out) so I ordered new ones. Before I could replace them the dash lights went out permanently.

The bulb holders are now new, but the right rear tail light is out as is the front left running light and of course the dash lights. Bulbs for both lights are good but replaced them anyway. when I put a meter to either connector there is no voltage. All fuses test good. (None ever blew). Hoping for a simple fix I bought a new multi-function switch but that didn't change anything.

On the dashboard, the mileage always has shown as has the time/station lights on the radio. Everything else is out. Nothing flickers. The lights that work work all the time, the ones that are out are out all the time

I'm now thinking maybe its the BCM? I don't mind going through the process to change it, but I'd rather do it on more than a (My) hunch.

I'm going to dig into the wiring diagrams this weekend but it just seems weird a wire would break/fail when I have not done any mod's to disturb anything? Especially since the issues started with the dash lights going out when I stepped on the brakes.

I've owned the truck since new, and there is about 185,000 miles on it.

Thanks so much!

Mike

Clampet

Reaction score
Clean the ground wire connect to the chassis under the driver and passenger side under the seats and carpet. They get wet and will cause electrical gremlin issues.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
is also two grounds dead center of that side of the firewall under the hood. The are pretty exposed and prone to wear and tear.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely test all the grounds as mentioned. Check the battery grounds and the two grounds from the rear of the heads to the Firewall. Your problem seems to be all over the place which tends to eliminate a single bad wiring section. The Wiring Diagrams will show the ground points for the BCM, ECM etc.
Worth re-plugging all connectors such as on the BCM, PCM etc....do this with battery disconnected.;)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Yeah definitely test all the grounds as mentioned. Check the battery grounds and the two grounds from the rear of the heads to the Firewall. Your problem seems to be all over the place which tends to eliminate a single bad wiring section. The Wiring Diagrams will show the ground points for the BCM, ECM etc.
Worth re-plugging all connectors such as on the BCM, PCM etc....do this with battery disconnected.;)
I agree with Bill. This is a bad ground gremlin.
You must be registered for see images attach