Firestone or BFG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of people swear by the BFG ATs. I ran them for a while and they do OK but not really any better than the Destination ATs. BFGs are a heavier constructed tire, you can feel the difference in picking them up. Price wise Destinations were a lot cheaper as well. OR wherenot sure now. I ran 245-70-16 Destibnations for about 25,000 miles and sold them with way over 1/2 tread left. The BFG ATs I had in 265-70-16s they wore great as well. I would look at price and also intended use. Both are a great AT I think

Just for S&Gs I looked at both of them in a 265-75-16,
Destinations 41 lb each
BFG ATs 54 lb each

Last edited:

asuwins

Reaction score
Depends on what you wanna do with your KJ...:confused:

Just so you know though, the Firestone is rated number 1 in it's class, tied with Michelin's LTX AT2, while the BFG is rated number 9.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

I have the Firestones and so far I totally love em. Never had the BFGs though so I can't compare.

I agree it all depends what you want to do. If you plan on off-roading and airing down the tires for better traction then BFG has enhancements specifically for this built into the tire. Most SUV's never see "real dirt, rocks, or sand", therefore most tire reviews and SUV tires focus on what people use them for most, highway and icy road condition driving. If you look at many tire reveiws in the reviews just posted, few mention "air down capability".

My thoughts are if you are going to need off road tires for something other than ice, snow and highway driving, go with the Michelins or Firestone. If you are going to do some serious off-raoding, then consider the BFG with a more aggressive tred pattern and great air-down capabilities.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran destinations before I got the Silent Armors that the Jeep is running now, they were a good general purpose tire, but I found them to noisy on the street if they were even a little under/over-inflated

L

lil black liberty

KJCleveland.. I am running 245/70/16's Firestone Destination A/T's on mine and that is what will be going back on this KJ.. I rotate my tires every 3K Miles and I have almost 15K miles on them already and they still look brand new.. Great Tread..and also great handling on Oklahoma Wet Roads and Icy Roads..Not Too bad on the Red Dirt/Clay Mixture Roads when wet, amazing on Gravel/Rocky Roads.. and hardly any road noise whether Low or High Pressured..They also seem to take a beating, ran over a huge piece of wire and no damage it was just stuck in the tread pulled it out and it was fine.. I would pick the A/T's if it were me. Especially if you are a 75% to 80% Highway driver..

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firestone actually beat tirerack's price with buy three get one free. Especially since my brother is a technician and can mount/balance for free! thanks for all the responses!

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new tires and rims put on last night! What an amazing difference! Just got to get an alignment and rear rotors/pads and ill be completely ready to go!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 17

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Lookin' good! I missed it ... what tires did you have on the KJ before you got these.....

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha i bought the thing with some ryims on it. 18s with some crappy low profile highway driving disasters. Im not gonna lie, the rims looks good (picture in my profile) but you just dont do that to a jeep :)

Somehow by the hand of God i made it through the winter with those tires, but now im ready for this season to give me all its got.

be on the look out for my old rims to hit the for sale forum!

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Destination A/T FTW!(woot)

Not a big fan of the white lettering though. Which is why I had mine installed with the black lettering on the outside;)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Destination A/T FTW!(woot)

Not a big fan of the white lettering though. Which is why I had mine installed with the black lettering on the outside;)

I unfortunately did not have that option with the tyres I had installed!
Unless I wanted them installed the wrong way out!

ON a side note?

The white lettering does not seem to stick to the tyre...
I can flake off the white **** and below is glorious black rubber!