BFG Rugged Terrain vs All Terrain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benherr

Reaction score
Thanks.
Yeah, I'm in the process of having some new springs and Bilsteins put on. And a 1/2 inch front spacer to help level it out.
Running BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain 235/70/16 right now. They're wearing out. I live up 8 miles of dirt and a lot of rock. Tires don't last too long here.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Yeah, I'm in the process of having some new springs and Bilsteins put on. And a 1/2 inch front spacer to help level it out.
Running BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain 235/70/16 right now. They're wearing out. I live up 8 miles of dirt and a lot of rock. Tires don't last too long here.

Been there done that when I was younger... lived way out a state gravel road, and up a gravel drive up the side of a mountain.

The main thing I remember is that the gravel was ******* them, and much harder if it was washed stone or just rock vs crush run, which packs down pretty hard if there is enough crush. I think when it was like that it was probaby easier on the tires than the tar and pea gravel resurfaced paved mountain roads to get there. Those rough curvy roads would grind the tires right off. But I think they did that to add winter bite to the roads. IDK. Anyways I still drive on a lot of this type of paved surface.

The loose rock and gravel in roads tends to chunk the tires over time. Seen some sad ones. But we drove far enough on pavement just to get there to keep them pretty smooth. I remember pretty much we ran BFG's, Mud tires, and what I call "mudgrips" on the trucks. The mudgrips I dunno the brands, just what I call that general pattern... big voids and the edges and closer voids in the center. I still see them on old trucks around here but I have no idea where people are even getting them... lol. Haven't seen any on a tire rack in years.

Anyways, I've done some working and towing out in the dirt, mud, rocks and gravel over the weekend this week. I can tell no difference still on the weight, and mileage seems the same so far. All I can really mention is for those that live up a dirt or gravel hill... these are just like the AT2's. They churn the gravel and dirt... which I remember was really undesirable when I lived up one myself. They turn it over like an atv tire, which keeps it disturbed and leads to washing out. I try to make it a point to drive right back down dead over my tracks leading up to try to pack it back down as I'm leaving.

I go down through a lot of trails that aren't ******** wheeling trails, but aren't exactly driveway or service road quality either. Just right of way quality. Places you shouldn't go without 4wd. And so far I haven't had to use it and haven't heard/felt the traction control trying to work either. But it will get tested worse as time goes on. Sometimes I'd be screwed without 4wd half dozen times a day.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wheeling with P rated tires for a years and haven't had an issue with punctures. I almost went with D or E last time but I just didn't want the extra weight. I'd see what the difference in weight is.

Although if you haul stuff and off road daily then I think load range D would be ok, if not optimal. The ATs have a way better tread design. Now I'd vote for the AT.

You hit it dead on. I have pretty much done all of my normal routine hauling now with them and you're right. The D load range seems pretty much optimal. They handle loads with a better feel, but don't ride like a wagon either.

I use it like a truck or cargo van. It's traveling hauling a load daily and once a week I haul a heavy load. And twice a week I have a small load and I'm towing a heavy load too.

I don't know how to explain it right. All I can say is there is less squirm when hauling and towing.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have had a ton of hard rain. It has stopped now it seems but I am dealing with some more serious 4x4 work now. Lot of big washes and stuff to crawl. Still no rubbing issues even crawling stuff that gets the wheels off the ground. No issues with the tires either.

The only thing I have noticed is that now that the sun has been out and I've got some heat in the tires, they hold a lot more small rocks above the pea gravel size. A lot of them stay put too until you pop them out. I will probably start carrying a flat screwdriver in the floor by the drivers seat to pop them out. They don't eject, so they can be annoying.

Latest posts

Members online