Finding Gear Ration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dangerousdave26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4x4

I have a few leaking seals so I figure its time to do an overhaul or replace the rear end with a locking or limited slip.

I know it is a Dana model 35 but the tags on it are gone.

Is there a way to know the ratio of the rear end from the VIN #?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All KJs except some early 02s and some South American ones have the 8.25 rear I'm pretty sure. Gears will be 3:73 unless you have the 2.4 4cylinder, then it'll have 4:10s.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4x4

I have a few leaking seals so I figure its time to do an overhaul or replace the rear end with a locking or limited slip.

I know it is a Dana model 35 but the tags on it are gone.

Yes no 35 in yours , only 8.25 , wouldn't waste my time with a limited slip

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All KJs except some early 02s and some South American ones have the 8.25 rear I'm pretty sure. Gears will be 3:73 unless you have the 2.4 4cylinder, then it'll have 4:10s.

When I was working for Chrysler, I was able to see all the specs on my Jeep. I have 3:55 actually.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When I was working for Chrysler, I was able to see all the specs on my Jeep. I have 3:55 actually.

You have a manual so yes 3.55s

Gas 2.4 KJ,auto or manual--4.10's
Gas 3.7 KJ,auto--3.73's
Gas 3.7 KJ,5 speed manual--3.73's
Gas 3.7 KJ,6 speed manual--3.55's
US CRD(auto only)--3.73's
Export CRD with 2.8,auto--3.73's
Export CRD with 2.5,auto or manual--4.10's

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but the tags on it are gone.

Because a previous owner either: changed the oil, or changed the gears and oil, and left the tag off.
The above application guide is fine assuming nothing has been changed on yours. You know what happens when one assumes. There are a number of guys here who have changed their gears, and a future owner can't go by that info.
The way to know what is in yours is by opening it up, or giving the wheel a turn & count test. With an open diff, raise one tire off the ground, put trans in neutral, turn the wheel one revolution, and count the number of turns the driveshaft makes. With an lsd, do the same, but raise both tires off the ground.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because a previous owner either: changed the oil, or changed the gears and oil, and left the tag off.
The above application guide is fine assuming nothing has been changed on yours. You know what happens when one assumes. There are a number of guys here who have changed their gears, and a future owner can't go by that info.
The way to know what is in yours is by opening it up, or giving the wheel a turn & count test. With an open diff, raise one tire off the ground, put trans in neutral, turn the wheel one revolution, and count the number of turns the driveshaft makes. With an lsd, do the same, but raise both tires off the ground.

There you go right there. But, to finish, mark a spot on the shaft and on the housing, to get an accurate count. Just a shade over 4 turns is 4:10, about 3 1/2 turns, 3:55, and about 3 3/4 turns 3:73, I think you get the idea.

Latest posts

Members online