finally driveable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my jeep is finally driveable after wrecking it and and working on it for about 3 months. I got a question about my wheels, they are Black Rock wheels, brand new, with new lug nuts and it just doesn't seem like the lugs are getting tight enough. I'm afraid to keep going with it i don't wanna mess up the wheel. Anyone have any experience with this? I've always used pro comp wheels before and never had a problem with them.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 42

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Which Brand of lugs are you using? McGard?
I assume you are using a Torque Wrench?
48520[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I keep my Torque Wrench in the Jeep.
When new, You might have to do them daily or every 50 miles at hwy speed until they settle in. Keep a close eye on em... either way...
I set mine at 100Ft/lbs but max is 115.
Got any pics before/during the KJ restoration ??

Attachments

• LibertyTorqueTime.jpg
    LibertyTorqueTime.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what brand they are. I got them at a local tire shop. They are just standard closed acorn 1/2 by 20 3/4 lug nuts. And I've never used a torque wrench on lug nuts. I'm still doing it by hand as opposed to an impact but it just doesn't have that "feel" of when it starts to get tight

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I'm not being a smart ass (at the moment :D) but that's why you use a torque wrench. If your not getting to ~100 ft/lbs something is wrong for sure.

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not being a smart ass (at the moment :D) but that's why you use a torque wrench. If your not getting to ~100 ft/lbs something is wrong for sure.

Well I don't need a torque wrench to know that I'm not getting to 100ft/lbs lol. I'll try it tomorrow without the center cap so I can see what it's doing

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Advice from a non-expert here, but I know the angle of the flange on the nuts matters. Could your local tire shop have given you the wrong ones?

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advice from a non-expert here, but I know the angle of the flange on the nuts matters. Could your local tire shop have given you the wrong ones?

I thought about that too. The angle of the lugs are 60 degrees. I tried to find out what the angle of the wheels are but I haven't been able to

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy 20 dollar torque wrench at harbor freight and report back after tightening.

Feel free to buy a better one but as long as their evenly torqued in the 100 ft lb range you'll be better off.

95whtzr2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't need a torque wrench to know that I'm not getting to 100ft/lbs lol. I'll try it tomorrow without the center cap so I can see what it's doing

100 ft/lbs isn't hard to get to, especially with a tire iron, I always over-torqued my lug nuts before I thought about using a torque wrench- and now I realize the error of my ways... haha

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the nuts are bottoming out before they fully seat on the rim? ie. are the lug bolts longer than the threads inside the nut?
In that case, you may still get to torque spec and not have the wheel fully tightened.

I've seen that happen on machinery, it's possible here too.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Joe Sounds like your lugs are correct since I have read you stating 1/2X20-60 degree cone. (consult your tire shop if u are not sure etc rim/lug matching)
Below is a photo to please compare.
Sometimes with new lugs, back them off one by one until free of rim and re-torque them again properly in cross pattern.
Just to ensure and to help others, here is what the Quality McGard lugs should look like.
48530[/ATTACH]"]

And for those that still may have the the OEM lugs with plastic inserts, it is definitely time for an upgrade!
48532[/ATTACH]"]

McGard Link 64010: Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nut Set (1/2"-20 Thread Size) -
Set of 4 Lug Nuts per rim + 5 locks (1 for spare) work well!

A half inch torque wrench is the only correct method of tightening lugs.
If over tightened :badidea: things can happen & no one wants to hear a stud go ker snap.

Attachments

• McGardLugs.jpg
    McGardLugs.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
  • OEMLugsBroken.jpg
    OEMLugsBroken.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 2 come apart so off I went and got 1/2x20 lugs, local parts store $1 apiece. I could see the difference but was told the were ok replacements. My Uncle a former MOPAR parts man said get those off. I will give you some. So I have stock 2 piece about 50 extra. There is a difference, mine did torque properly, but damage to aluminum rims was possible.
If it looks different it is!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Immediate Wish List Idea??? kopkrab.gif
48540[/ATTACH]"]

:grd:
I wonder how often TROY checks his Lug Nuts with a Torque Wrench??
:sorry:IMHO if you don't own one of these and don't have it in the Jeep....
You obviously are doing something WRONG!!! :word:

Attachments

• TorqueWrench.jpg
    TorqueWrench.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Immediate Wish List Idea??? kopkrab.gif
48542[/ATTACH]"]

:grd:
I wonder how often TROY checks his Lug Nuts with a Torque Wrench??
:sorry:IMHO if you don't own one of these and don't have it in the Jeep....
You obviously are doing something WRONG!!! :word:
Don't have one in my jeep and don't use one on my wheels so guess I'm doing something wrong :hidesbehindsofa::jawdrop:
When I was managing tire shops they'd check the torque wrenches against what I did with a 4 way. always within a pound or so

Attachments

• TorqueWrench.jpg
    TorqueWrench.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
YA Tom I may be exaggerating to try to get the point across.
I carry mine simply because, I actually do check my air pressure & torque on lugs often, especially after off road or any highway trips!
It's handy to have it in the Jeep, as... if it is in there..it actually gets used!
I am sure you have great experience with a 4 way...others well..mmm...may not be so lucky, or experienced as you! (that was a compliment BTW)

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, torque wrenches are a great tool, but how many people have had the same wrench for years and never had it re-checked or re-calibrated in all the time they have had it?
They do sometimes get out of wack.