Finally did my own oil change......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The coupons from the dealer expirered, so I finally did it on my own. I feel really good now:D. Got it done for 15 bucks and 30minuts. Not bad for a Motor Craft filter and Quaker State oil. Now, where do I dispose of the old oil?? I do live on a lake;). Eh, I'll just take it to Jiffy Lube.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
way to go man. wasnt so hard heh?

feels good to save money and be able to maintain as much as you can on your vehicle.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recycle at my regions "recycle center" so that my city can get credit for the oil and other oils.

Congratulations on the first home-made oil change.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
way to go man. wasnt so hard heh?

feels good to save money and be able to maintain as much as you can on your vehicle.

It was your video in the how to section that made it easier!!! The only thing holding me back from doing it before was the oil filter!!! Couldn't find it !!! I've done them on my own a few times, but not for 15+ years.:D

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice of oil and filter. The Motorcraft filter is made by Purolator and the Quaker State oil is no longer "Caker State". When it was a Pennsylvania oil it used to have a reputation for parrafin build-up and foaming. It is a Shell Oil product now. This is interesting but cutting open an oil filter is not the only way to test it. Sending your old oil to a lab for analysis is probably the best way.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good choice of oil and filter. The Motorcraft filter is made by Purolator and the Quaker State oil is no longer "Caker State". When it was a Pennsylvania oil it used to have a reputation for parrafin build-up and foaming. It is a Shell Oil product now. This is interesting but cutting open an oil filter is not the only way to test it. Sending your old oil to a lab for analysis is probably the best way.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Great to hear Quaker State is made by Shell. Now I'm pretty much sold on it.

nwood1976

Reaction score
The coupons from the dealer expirered, so I finally did it on my own. I feel really good now:D. Got it done for 15 bucks and 30minuts. Not bad for a Motor Craft filter and Quaker State oil. Now, where do I dispose of the old oil?? I do live on a lake;). Eh, I'll just take it to Jiffy Lube.

I'm not sure about your local laws, but i just take my used oil back to the autoparts store where i purchased the new oil & they will take it for recycling for free... Free+environmentally friendly=:)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Feels good knowing that you did it yourself, and not some underpaid grease monkey named Archy.

Yeah, Good one!!!! About the disposal, Jiffy Lube bit my head off and told me no(gave me the impression they were doing :the_finger.gif). The Valvoline place gladly accepted it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is great. Once you do it the first time and realize it is not that bad, it gives you a sence of satisfaction.

Oh, just throw the used oil in the neighbor's yard, and then call him on the phone and tell him he sprouted an oil well....:D (you know I am just kidding).......actually, in NY any place that sells oil is required to accept used oil by law. I wonder if they do that in Florida where you are?

Dave

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, using it to start fires is pretty handy.. Pops usually takes ours to his work where they recycle it or burn it for heat..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know which is better..neighbor's yard or fire. AH!!! I'll start an oil fire in his yard!! That'll be a nice welcome home from vacation ( he should be back sometime tonight.)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know which is better..neighbor's yard or fire. AH!!! I'll start an oil fire in his yard!! That'll be a nice welcome home from vacation ( he should be back sometime tonight.)

Call his cell# and tell him to stop and get marshmallows....haha:D

Dave

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was your video in the how to section that made it easier!!! The only thing holding me back from doing it before was the oil filter!!! Couldn't find it !!! I've done them on my own a few times, but not for 15+ years.:D

great, glad it helped. my wifes doesnt have the electric fan and is very easy to get to, mine has the electric fan and i cuss a lot while doing mine.:D i have to go in from the bottom vs top for hers. i bleed sometimes.. haha!

Last edited:

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great, glad it helped. my wifes doesnt have the electric fan and is very easy to get to, mine has the electric fan and i cuss a lot while doing mine.:D

Uh, you mean mechanical fan? The mechanical fan blades look big, are made from a yellowish plastic, and are connected to the water pump. I do my oil filter from underneath, much easier;)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, you mean mechanical fan? The mechanical fan blades look big, are made from a yellowish plastic, and are connected to the water pump. I do my oil filter from underneath, much easier;)

Yup....... I also change mine from underneith and it is very easy and you have to get underneith to drain the oil anyway so it is much faster that way. You just have to manuver the filter out towards the sway bar and bumper because the skid plates are in the way. I can't even hardly see mine from the top never mind reach it.

Dave

Shpotty

Reaction score
I changed my KJs oil today too. Everything was going against me, but I was determined to do the deed. Advance Auto Parts advertised an oil change special, a Purolator filter and five quarts of either Quaker State or Pennzoil motor oil for $14.99. And if you buy an air filter at the same time they give you $2.00 off that too. That would have made the parts store visit less than $20! So I go there and they don't have the air filter or 5 quarts of the 5W20 oil. Terriffic!

So I just get the oil filter and drive over to Wal Mart for the oil and there was an accident on the road going over there. I finally get over there and they had a good deal on 5 quarts of Pennzoil 5W20 so I grab a jug and walk over to the register where a line of people appeared out of no place.

On the way back home, the weather starts to look threatening, but since I went through all of this, I'm not giving up. I change my clothes and get out to the garage. The drain plug decided to put up quite a fight. After 20 minutes and five different kinds of wrenches and sockets, I convince it to come off. After all that fun, it was pretty much a walk in the park. The oil filter was easy as pie and the generously sized oil fill tube guzzled down the whole 5 quart jug double quick.

At first I was miffed because I done over 1,000 oil changes for myself, my family and my customers and yet after all that I still had to struggle with my KJ. But after I cleaned up I had to laugh because it was just so silly to be ticked off about it.

And to tell the truth, not having to jack the Jeep up to change the oil is one of my favorite things about them.

Done and done.

Latest posts

Members online