Feelers/Opinions: 2003 Renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

echris1015

Reaction score
I figure I'd post trying to get some opinions on my vehicle. A family member sold me the 2003 KJ instead of trading it in earlier this year. Its not exactly big enough for what I use it for so I'm wondering what I could possibly get for it.

KBB private party value in good condition is $9,580.

It has 65K, in-dash 6 disc changer, power locks/windows, etc. Its in pretty good shape, no mechanical defects, tires have under 1,000 miles, carpet and seats are in excellent shape.

Any opinions on what I could realistically get for this?

You must be registered for see images

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would, and I love mostly everything about it, it just doesn't have enough storage room for things like camping, etc, that I do a lot.

To answer your first question, based on the pics, I'd rate that more towards "excellent" condition. Go back to KBB and get the "Excellent condition" price. If you're not totally sure, then just price the vehicle somewhere between good and excellent.

As for the room for camping, I guess I'd have to ask what kind of camping you're doing. If you're doing "kitchen sink" camping, then yeah, getting all of that stuff in the rear of the jeep isn't easy.

Consider investing in a basket rack and save the $$$$ you're going to spend on another vehicle.

If you go camping and don't have 5 passengers, you can actually begin to fit quite a bit in the KJ with even one seat down.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome KJ. I think your price is fair. It leaves you some room to negotiate.

echris1015

Reaction score
To answer your first question, based on the pics, I'd rate that more towards "excellent" condition. Go back to KBB and get the "Excellent condition" price. If you're not totally sure, then just price the vehicle somewhere between good and excellent.

As for the room for camping, I guess I'd have to ask what kind of camping you're doing. If you're doing "kitchen sink" camping, then yeah, getting all of that stuff in the rear of the jeep isn't easy.

Consider investing in a basket rack and save the $$$$ you're going to spend on another vehicle.

If you go camping and don't have 5 passengers, you can actually begin to fit quite a bit in the KJ with even one seat down.

There's actually a few small marks on the bumper which is why I downgraded it to "Good" instead of "Excellent".

Yeah, we're "kitchen sink" campers, tailgaters, etc, and we usually have 3 or 4 people and it just doesn't make sense to travel with two vehicles especially since some of the distances are long and some of the stays are long. Also, there are plenty of times we end up camping for 3 days or longer and there's a lot of things we need to carry around. Trust me, I went to Mid Ohio last weekend and had it totally packed from top to bottom, so I know I can fit a lot, but I'd like to have a vehicle where I can easily fit everything and not worry about having to solve a puzzle in order to fit everything in, you know?

The other major deal is hauling an ATV by itself. I just can't do it without buying a hitch to install and a trailer.

I do have a cloth rooftop carrier that I use that lets me use all the space between the rails, which does give me some extra space.

So yeah, I'm sort of tempted to sell it and buy a crew cab TRD or Frontier around the same year, but I'm not entirely sure I want to get rid of this fine rig.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah with that many people you're packed for any extended camping. There are some very cool, tough, relatively small tenting trailers out there made for 4 wheeling, storage, stove, water, tent platform for 2, even water heaters and showers built in. 5 years ago since I had url for a particular company, but saw some in Red Deer, U. S. made, excellent quality stuff. Prices were $3500 - $5000.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
IMHO, KBB & they like have not caught up with the current economic realities. That vehicle is too old for a conventional loan and people with $10K cash to lay out are probably rarley looking for a nearly 8 yr old Liberty. From watching C-list for my area ( no idea where you are besides the plate hint..I can't see the county #) I'd say $6.5K would be realistic. Your mileage may very. Good luck on the sale either way.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is one fine looking Rennie there, previous owner took very good care of her. Good luck on the sale and let us know how it turns out. If you decide to keep the KJ drop us a line on here and we can help you come up with great ways to extend the cargo capacity of the Jeep (roof racks as previously mentioned, rocket boxes, extended storage that comes out of the trailer hitch, etc.). As a fellow camper I too find the storage with 3 or 4 people a bit limited sometimes (especially with a cooler or 2 and 1/2 barrel :D) but make it work.

echris1015

Reaction score
IMHO, KBB & they like have not caught up with the current economic realities. That vehicle is too old for a conventional loan and people with $10K cash to lay out are probably rarley looking for a nearly 8 yr old Liberty. From watching C-list for my area ( no idea where you are besides the plate hint..I can't see the county #) I'd say $6.5K would be realistic. Your mileage may very. Good luck on the sale either way.

I definitely agree with this, somewhat. vehicles are definitely fairly cheaper in my area because of the lack of jobs, low annual income, and just a poor economy in general.

I know it'd be higher with $6.5K, but not sure how much higher.

Hmm. I may have to look into a cargo box and a hitch.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the build date? look in door jam sticker...

if we know that, someone on here might take interest. Not me. Just sayin'

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always remember the univeral economic wisdom from the Lone Biker of the Apocalypse: Price, it's not what you say it is, it's what the market will bear.