Extinction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rock Lizard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all I would like to say to all of those that have been supportive of my business, whether you have been a paying customer or not, thank you. It has really meant a lot to me to receive the support, understanding, and respect that I have for the last 6 years.

It hasn't been an easy decision to make, but after years of struggling (big snowball effect rolling downhill since my ex-wife ran off), I have decided it is time to close Rock Lizard Fabrications. This business formed from was a hobby that was my dream and my life, and when it became a nightmare, I haven't been happy ever since. So, going back to simple hobby work when I feel like it and don't have to worry about pressure and stress. I haven't wheeled my own jeep in three years, and I think I have earned the opportunity to take some time to myself and do what I really love.

Part of my decision was based on the struggle of having less time to work on my business due to the need to provide a steady income for my kids, and the business wasn't cutting it alone so had to take on a full time job. Then another problem occurred, I didn't have time for my kids that I was working my @$$ off to support. Another issue leading to this decision is unfortunately the economy. I hate to say that, because I feel it is a cop out, but when you run a business, the numbers don't lie. It ***** and actually really bothers me when so many people ***** and complain that no one wants to support the liberty, but a lot of those people don't have any money or haven't built their liberties anyways, so why are you whining, and why are 25+ people putting their names on a freaking snorkel wish list that is going to cost over $700 if it ever comes out and doesn't do **** to improve your jeep without properly waterproofing your jeep anyways. And that whole "well it improves gas mileage" is crap. Seriously, you gain 1-2 MPG, add it up to $700 how long before you actually pay off that stupid snorkel to improve gas mileage. I'll buy the looks cool excuse, because, well, if you like it, that is about all it is good for. I damng near was giving away front bumpers, people have been driving me crazy for years for a front bumper, some got preorders in years ago which I am working on completing, as well as the three, yes, three orders that came in when I first started offering them late last year. People are willing to buy a worthless $700 snorkel, but for the same price you get something that can actually make a difference in your jeep... WTF?

I have plenty of other reasons, but those are just a few of the ones that really pushed me over the edge. So, this is it. Up until the end of April, I will only accept orders for front bumpers, as they just came out and I want to give all of those people that waited all of these years for me to finally design it to get one. I have a few parts lying around to make a set of KK sliders, a KK basket rack, a light bar like ThunderbirdJunkie has, and a KJ sport rack. That's it, besides that inventory and front bumper orders, Skinks, Komodos, Geckos and everything else is extinct. No I won't change my mind and no I don't have anything else lying around, well except the original Monitor Lizard front bumper that used to be on Ted's jeep, and unless you are local or going to drive out here to get it, I won't sell it because I won't ship it. Oh, and unless you have $250K to drop in front of me right now, I will not sell a single design plan or anything else from the business. And no I didn't just make that number up, I will not sell it, and if someone wants it bad enough, they will pay for it. I have sacrificed too much to give anything away, and it is worth more to me than a quick buck, even if it fossilizes and never makes another penny. Someday, perhaps I may revive it years down the road, but after the end of April, I will not be doing anything except local custom stuff and the occassional SFA conversion. I am going back to my happy days of having a fun hobby that makes an extra couple of dollars on the side that I can use for my kids and myself.

Current orders for front bumpers are being made. All rear bumper orders have been cancelled and I am working on refunding those orders, so if you are one of these people, I know who you are, I know what you paid, you will get your money back as soon as possible, if you need to discuss anything, please contact me via PM or email.

Incase you skipped all of that, here is all I am taking orders for:

Front Rock Monitor bumpers (until April 30, 2010; see website for pricing)
(1) KK Gecko Basket Rack ($610 + shipping)
(1) KK Skink Sliders ($415 + shipping)
(1) KJ Gecko Sport Rack ($475 + shipping)
(1) KJ Gecko Light Bar ($125 + shipping)

So, cheers to all that have been supportive and loyal customers, and to those that cry because no one wants to make Liberty products...well, ***** to be you.

Oh, and I am sure there may be one or two that think they can take this opportunity to start a business copying my products, well, good luck. If I can't do it with years of experience and proven design and not to mention the respect and loyalty the Rock Lizard name has earned, what makes you think you can do any better copying. People know my designs, and you will be quickly called out on how unoriginal you are. I would like to provide the first bit of assistance in your new business venture; lets call it "Unoriginal Vulture Fabrications". nana.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you are packing it in, but I understand your situation as you explained it. You were making the best KJ stuff from what I have seen.

Best of luck in your new endeavors and don't be a stranger on the forum.

Dave

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Marty...glad to hear that your priorities are where they are, and that you at least have some sense to know when to hold 'em and to know when to fold 'em.

Don't be a stranger, holmes!

and why are 25+ people putting their names on a freaking snorkel wish list that is going to cost over $700 if it ever comes out and doesn't do **** to improve your jeep without properly waterproofing your jeep anyways.

Hmm.
Never has ThunderbirdJunkie felt so singled out :(

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear that bro, do what u gotta do and only do what makes u happy man...best wishes for you for the future!!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another sign of the crappy economy... But wait the government says we are rebounding and gas prices are climbing... Whatever..

RIP RL

Sorry to see you go but hey on the up side maybe we can get some of your spare time to post over here?? LOL

PS: This coming from a father of three myself, time for the kids is important!!

Best of Luck!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your difficulties, I respect your priorities.

All the best,

Time to update my TBA list :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
that *****. i understand your points tho. thanks for the effort you put in on making aftermarket parts available for the liberty. hope everything goes well for you

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey RockLizard...chin up chest out dude. I know when your "hobby" work turns into stress, it's time to get a new hobby.;)

Good Luck and go do some wheelin'...............

Cheers
Derick

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all that you did for the kj community Marty. I always thought it was pretty amazing that you took all the time and effort that you did and devoted to the kj. Cant blame you for moving on one bit. Hope things get better for ya. Would of loved to of had one of your rear bumpers.

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn...this *****...I was saving up for the front bumper...not sure if I can speed up the savings but I am going to plead with the "money boss" when I get home...really suck because she is a CPA and the busy season has started so she is getting cranky already...;)

I'm keeping my sticker on the back of the KJ tho...now when people ask what it is I just have to say the best fabrication company that sadly died.

Thanks for all you did Marty...seriously no BS...I am totally bummed about this loss for you and for us KJ owners...Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
When what was once fun ceases to be fun... it's time to leave it and move on to better things. I completely respect that decision, and hope this makes things easier for you.

We'll miss RL. :(

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really sorry to see you go. Just last week I was thinking I'd keep my KJ, & start saving for one of your SFA kits. Maybe someday I can be one of your custom jobs.

I know where your coming from. My life's dream was to be an airline pilot. Getting here was extremely expensive, but fun... Now that I made it, I never see my family & the pay is crap. I'm seriously considering quitting for the same reasons... well, except the whole snorkel deal.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man...sorry to hear about your troubles...but being in somewhat of a similar situation (my hobby turned into my job, which I now dislike) I can appreciate what you are doing. Good luck with your future endeavors, and I'm glad to hear that you are putting your family first in life!

Best wishes!

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see some GREAT products go by the way-side. Nothing but awesome things heard about RL. I wish you the very best in where ever your endeavors take you. Just be sure to take pictures of your endeavors and post em up here! :)

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
MAN! I was planning on trying to buy a rock monitor this summer but I understand your reasoning and envy your talents.