Extended Idle Switch - ECU pinout needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dogran999

Reaction score
So here's the idea.

Some jeeps like the XJ came with an extended idle option which allows you to run a higher RPM in idle when in park or neutral. Seems this was just a dash switch that plugged into the loom.

So for all the winchers and lots of lights lovers out there who get the battery light coming on when you are out and about (which includes me from time to time) I thought Id have a look as seeing if we can have one also.

About the only way to do this that I can see it to bypass the throttle idle solenoid and power it up fully to get the high idle RPM. I've tested with jumping it from the battery and it seems to work fine.

Only issue is I don't want to have high idle when driving, only when in park and neutral so does anyone know where there is a hot on park/neutral line I can hang a relay off to ensure this is safe.

Once finished with testing I'll post up the circuit etc as how to.

Cheers. C

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's the idea.

Some jeeps like the XJ came with an extended idle option which allows you to run a higher RPM in idle when in park or neutral. Seems this was just a dash switch that plugged into the loom.

So for all the winchers and lots of lights lovers out there who get the battery light coming on when you are out and about (which includes me from time to time) I thought Id have a look as seeing if we can have one also.

About the only way to do this that I can see it to bypass the throttle idle solenoid and power it up fully to get the high idle RPM. I've tested with jumping it from the battery and it seems to work fine.

Only issue is I don't want to have high idle when driving, only when in park and neutral so does anyone know where there is a hot on park/neutral line I can hang a relay off to ensure this is safe.

Once finished with testing I'll post up the circuit etc as how to.

Cheers. C

You can download the 2006 Service Manual here....includes circuit diagrams:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would be awesome. I don't know of any wiring like that, but I can test on my 02 when you figure it out and post results,