Exhaust problem, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was at a swap meet today and there was a vendor selling Thrush Weld mufflers. I really wanted Flowmaster, but for $35 I couldn't beat the price. I didn't know the type I needed so I tried to access the forums here using my cell phone, but that was a joke. So the guy checks his computer and tells me a 2006 Liberty with a 3.7l takes a 2 1/4" center inlet and a 2 1/4" offset outlet. I buy it and travel the 2 hours home. Low and behold checking the forums now I see I should have gotten the 2 1/2" size. How screwed am I? I really don't want to travel another 2 hours there, pay the $7 to get back in, see if I can exchange it, then travel another 2 hours home. I knew I shoulda bought a Droid.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, that is SOOO not what I wanted to here, but thanks. Guess I either eat the $35 or I miss football.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flebay it and do it right as always Tjkj is correct.
Smart of you to ask before putting it on.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not use it,that would be a big restriction lowering power bigtime.You can get the Thrush Turbo muffler at most auto part stores for $25,sounds better then a flowmaster on a KJ.

Sorry Troy but I gotta disagree on that one....

The exhaust on the KJ chokes down to 2.25" at the stock muffler, and comes out at the same size before expanding back up to 2.5".
I installed a Thrush Hush Turbo muffler on mine, both ends are 2.25". You have to cut the old muffler off tight to the stock muffler, the 2.25" inlet on the Thrush slides right over the pipe at that point, one 2.25" clamp and it's done on that side.
Because the Thrush is shorter than the stock muffler I had to buy a 2.25" extension pipe with a flared end to take up the space between the Thrush and the tail pipe....the 2.25" flared end slid right over the tail pipe, 2 clamps on that side and done....

Now if you saw it off in front of the bolted flange, you're at 2.5", and I agree you'll get better exhaust flow, but the 2.25" muffler does work as does the stock muffler.....it just sounds better.....

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you spend the time and money why would you not improve the flow, sound and power that would be the correct way to do it and not restricting the power band like stock,
So the way I see it Tjkj is correct.
But this is only my 2 cents and Im runing a Magnaflow not the loudest but what kick in the power band.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think if you spend the time and money why would you not improve the flow, sound and power that would be the correct way to do it and not restricting the power band like stock,
But this is only my 2 cents and Im runing a Magnaflow not the loudest but what kick in the power band.

times two
always try and upgrade with each thing you do, if you don't upgrade you are standing still!

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a little creative magic yesterday and obtained the proper Thrush Weld 2.5" muffler. Now I gotta make an apt to get it welled up. Thanks for the info everyone.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I retract my previous statement, and conclude that going to 2.5" is indeed an improvement.
Not that just going from 2.25" stock to 2.25" high flow wasn't an improvement, because it was, but reading and digesting the opinions in this thread got me thinking about the increased flow of cutting out the reducers in the stock piping and going to 2.5" all the way.
Yesterday I took a ride to Pep Boys, picked up a Thrush welded in 2.5", some clamps and a turn down pipe. Took off the old 2.25" Thrush Turbo, cut the reducer out, and installed the new 2.5" Thrush Welded muffler....

Result.....
Increase in sound quality
Slightly better throttle response
Better power in the low RPM range crawling through soft beach sand

Again, I did see a distinct improvement in performance and mileage with the 2.25" Turbo, so I wouldn't say going that route is a bad thing, but cutting out the stock reducers and going 2.5" is a better improvement....

also replacing the stock tail pipe with a turn down just before the rear axle eliminates a little more back pressure from the bends in that section of pipe.....but check your state MV laws before doing that as it may be a violation......(it's not legal here, but I don't really give a crap)....:smokin:

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm kicking around the idea of just clamping it and not taking it in to get welded. I really wanted to have it professionally installed with a nice tip, but $$$ is tight so I might do as many others have with the home install. My question is, what is the length of pipe needed to connect the muffler to the existing tail pipe. I have the 19" muffler. I thought I saw a video on youtube and the guy said he needed an 18" intermediate pipe with a flared end. What is the size of the flare or is it a 2.5" pipe with a slight flare to connect them? Thanks

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm kicking around the idea of just clamping it and not taking it in to get welded. I really wanted to have it professionally installed with a nice tip, but $$$ is tight so I might do as many others have with the home install. My question is, what is the length of pipe needed to connect the muffler to the existing tail pipe. I have the 19" muffler. I thought I saw a video on youtube and the guy said he needed an 18" intermediate pipe with a flared end. What is the size of the flare or is it a 2.5" pipe with a slight flare to connect them? Thanks

If I recall when I connected my old set up with the 2.25" Thrush Turbo, 18" was the length needed. With the 2.5" welded Thrush it's moved forward about 6 to 8 inches, and the distance to the tail pipe...(had I used it)...would of increased a little.
Just get a 24" length of 2.5" straight pipe with the flared end, then cut it to whatever length you need, the flare should fit over the stock tail pipe, the 2.5" end will slide right into the muffler....3 clamps and you should be good to go.
I took my tail pipe out and installed a length of pipe and a turn down that terminates just in front of the rear axle, I did save my tail pipe since I'll have to reinstall it in 12 months for emissions inspection.