Exhaust and/or CAI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prolly covered already but I'm too lazy too look. Does either the CAI or a cat back increase performance on these 3.7s? Any dyno graphs available?
________
FIX PS3

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
A true CAI would, but not just an open cone filter in the engine compartment. A CAI must pull ALL the air from the outside, not the hot air from under the hood. The original intake box is more of a CAI than the cone filters that are inside the engine compartment, BECAUSE; there is a snorkel (funneling duct) on the the intake box that faces directly front, and gets the outside air, and not the hot inside air.

If you wanted a true CAI, you would have to tube it down low enough to pull the colder air from outside the engine compartment. Or, cut a hole in the hood and scoop it to the intake cone, OR, actually get a Snorkel intake system for the Jeep. I have seen one with a snorkel, it does not look all that bad.

Exhaust? Got to be careful, changing back pressure changes the torque curve. If you free up the exhaust too much, you lose low end torque, to a higher RPM range. A good muffler will help...

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to REv Mudd.... he's done 4-5 different changes on his intake and believes to have found the best... piece of drying duct I think.

karter

Reaction score
My opinion only !, use a K& N drop in replacement filter and a cat back exhaust . Oh and fresh spark plugs , but it doesn't seem to increase mpg much . Seat of the pants feels better . I do agree with Powerslave ,that unless it's a true cold air intake system you won't see much of a gain so why waste money on an underhood system unless you like the looks of it .

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use a K&N air filter(or any other oiled air filter),they are made for racing apps.A DD vehicle will always last longer with any filter besides a oiled air filter.Plus without some pretty hefty cylinder head mods you can not make use of the extra flow a K&N gives you anyway.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filters offered by Amsoil are among the best reusable filters ever conceived by mankind.... and I have a snorkel too..... that's for cool kids only though..... there's an application and everything.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Been using K&N since I discovered them... My avenger ALWAYS had a K&N; drop in first, then the cone with my made intake. Again, dude, 150K+ miles on the thing, engine ran like the day I bought it.

Use what you want people, it's your car. I have used them since 1995, with ALL my vehicles, and never had issues. Got one in my Bike too...

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the 4x mags did an intake and filter and cat-back on a KJ and gained lame results for the money. I'm sure the article link is in here somewhere, i know it is over on LOST JEEPS.
Funny thing is new plugs, clean air filter and changes in temp, etc could have darn near netted the same gains as they got for their "upgrades".

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I didn't state my personel knowledge in the beginning on purpose. I'm VERY famaliar with these mods .... on other vehicles. All I can find for bolt ons for the Libertys are CAI, cat backs, those dam Jet "chips", & paper weights a.k.a. throttle body spacers. From actual testing I knew the last 2 don't help/can even hurt performance. Also I know about a none sealing CAI. I have a Volant w/ram air tube on my truck. The most likely replacement for my Liberty is a True Flow drop in using the OE box. Snorkels are out of the question. My biggest interest is in the exhaust. What works/what don't/what is too noisy. Losing a little low end won't matter. I'm not a rock crawler. I'm not a kid anymore so I don't want too much noise either. Also V-sicks engines don't sound too pretty.
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited: