Excessive body roll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep hasn't been the same since February when it slid on the hwy (see thread here) I am getting excessive body roll, much more apparent when it is windy out. Also getting some wheel hop when I hit a pot hole (wide enough to hit both wheels), probably due to disconneting the rear sway bar. It is difficult to keep the Jeep straight if driving past 70mph, especially during wind gusts, then I have to slow it down to 60-65mph. I find myself coasting a lot to keep the Jeep straight. Any ideas on what to check.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you say you had the rear sway bar disconnected? Is it still disconnected?

If it is unhooked, try reattaching it then take it for a drive. :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the front end checked out throughly and had an alignment? Tires have proper psi in them?

Some things that could cause this:

Bad balljoints
bad tie rod/ends
bad bearings
bad rack
bad bushings on rack

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the front end checked out throughly and had an alignment? Tires have proper psi in them?

Some things that could cause this:

Bad balljoints
bad tie rod/ends
bad bearings
bad rack
bad bushings on rack

Tires are set at 35psi. LBJ's seem good. Front end was aligned in Aug 07 after the lift. How do I check the tie rods, bearings, rack and rack bushings?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to take the rotor off the front to check the bearings. That way I can push, pull, lift, turn, listen, all that good stuff.

Just grab the tie rod ends and see if you can move them in and out of their socket. Check the upper balljoints too. I like to leave the Jeep sitting on the ground and take a large flat blade screw driver and stick it back into the coil springs. Use the spring to push up on the a-arm then put the screw driver above the a-arm and push down.

How much play is in the steering wheel? If you can move the wheel a good distance before the tires move them I would think either the tie rods are wearing out or the bushings are.

Tony has a bad tie rod right now, maybe he will chime in on the symptoms he was having and how he checked it.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear swaybar has zero effect on controlling body roll,it isn't even conected to the body,only to the 2 rear LCA's to help stabilize them for towing.

Sounds like it is time for all new bushings and strut/shocks,body roll is a classic symptom for bad bushings and bad struts/shocks.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear swaybar has zero effect on controlling body roll,it isn't even conected to the body,only to the 2 rear LCA's to help stabilize them for towing.

Sounds like it is time for all new bushings and strut/shocks,body roll is a classic symptom for bad bushings and bad struts/shocks.

Just installed a new lift in August. New front/rear springs and shocks. OME and Ranchos.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I found:

Driver side (left) outer tie rod end boot is cracked

You must be registered for see images attach

Driver side (left) inner tie rod has a leak

Control arm bushings look okay (minimal cracking). Couldn't find the rack bushings anyone have a diagram/picture of where they are.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside the casing...since it's leaking oil already I am afraid you need a new one...JEEP doesn't sell any parts for it. They do not even sell the tie rod as a spare.

From my post 'steering trouble'

You must be registered for see images

Okay, not sure if this is the right part, but I can't give you a direct link:

Go to http://www.rockauto.com

Enter the catalog

2002 > JEEP > LIBERTY SPORT > STEERING

Then under "Rack and Pinion Mount Bushing", is that the correct part? The Moog one is only $11.

They also have both inner and outer tie rods.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be the same part as the nº 3 in the JEEP drawing. Have you tried rocking the steering wheel to see if the casing moved?

I haven't done that (need somebody to turn the steering wheel, while I look under the Jeep)....but I did hear a cloink sound like you said.

I have the replace the whole rack because of that one bushing.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rack bushings are kinda hard to see. They are sandwiched between two bolts.

I would guess if you hit hard enough to pop the bead on the tire then it could of blew a seal on that rack.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your rack is toast,I just replaced a rack on a KJ here in MOAB yesterday,he blew the output seals also,granted a little worse then yours.

You can't get just the seals,we tried,and had to get a remaned rack.Which comes with new mount bushings.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...I was reading the FSM on how to remove the steering rack and it says you have to remove the front axle along with the control arms? How difficult was it to do this? Sound like a huge pain. How many hours did it take you to remove and reinstall a new one. What brand did you use?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...I was reading the FSM on how to remove the steering rack and it says you have to remove the front axle along with the control arms? How difficult was it to do this? Sound like a huge pain. How many hours did it take you to remove and reinstall a new one. What brand did you use?
It took me about 4 hours,I did not remove the LCA's or front diff,it was on a '06 KJ also.......

This what I did......

1)Jack vehicle up,place the front on jack stands
2)Remove front wheels
3)Remove outer tie rod ends from knuckles and inner tie rod ends
4)Remove front skid(if you have one)
5)Unbolt pass side front diff mount,you will not be able to remove the farthest forward bolt without removing the LCA,and let hang
6)Unbolt the middle(in front of the diff cover) diff mount,again one bolt will not be removeable with the LCA on,and let hang
7)Remove oil filter
8)Remove serp belt
9)remove pressure/return lines on the rack
10)remove lower pressure line from bottom of PS pump
11)Discontect steering shaft(lock the steering wheel first,or you will damage the clockspring,use ratchet straps or bungi cords)
12)remove 2 bolts holding rack to cradle
13)move rack all the way to drivers side to lower pass end
14)move rack all the way to the pass side and start feeding up torwards upper raditor hose
15)with another persons aid,slowly worm the rack up on the left side(pass)of the upper raditor hose until out,yep it comes up out of the engine bay
16)install is oppisite of removal

Now if you have a '02 KJ the pass side diff mount may not drop out of the way,this should be okay,just a little more work.With HD cooling if you remove the mechanical fan,electric fan,and shroud this should work for you also.Removing the electric fan/shroud may make this way alot easier.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question...the leak that I have from the inner tie rod is steering fluid, right? I don't know how long its been leaking, but the fluid level right now is at the "max cold" mark.

Also I would like to replace the sway bar bushing, they are little cracked. Can someone tell me if anyone of these will fit.

CLICK HERE

Also, are the Moog outer tie rods greaseable? If not, where can I find greaseable ones.

Last edited: