EVIC Install Complete...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, I finally found a compatible EVIC to replace the temporary OTIS in the Libby (put that in over the weekend).

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does every kj have wiring for these? i would love one but i have an 02 sport.. i fi dont have the wiring is it difficult to get it all wired correctly?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

To answer some questions for kjweston...

Nope, if they don't have the EVIC or OTIS from the factory they don't have the harness that supports it, plain and simple unfortunately, but it's easy to add.

Easy to install as the same plastic bracket is up there if you only have the lights, you just have to cut out some of the headliner to make room for the electronics and get to the screw hole that lines up with the front end of the EVIC.

Back to the wiring... The B+ line from the EVIC gets spliced to the pink that feeds the lights on all the junkyard harness's i checked out. So when i wired mine i spliced into the pink wire near the right light, the other three wires, ignition switched B+, PCI Bus, and Ground all got made into a harness and tape wrapped. PCI Bus goes to pin 2 of the OBDII port, Ground goes to pin 4 or pin 5 of the OBDII port, and the ignition switched B+ goes to the harness that feeds the radio, tapped off pin 2 of that.

The other catch, the Grand Cherokee uses a different plug for the lights, but you can pull the lights, switches, and its associated harness off your stock map lights and transfer that to the EVIC and then you don't need to do any chopping or splicing there, they all just pop into place, takes a minute to do that.

So long story short, you need to run three wires... Oh and of course you need to add an Ambient Temp Sensor out in the grill for temp readings. From what i read 04+ models have that sensor already, 02 and 03 model years have the plug for it but never got installed. Its just one screw to install it.

www.jeepkj.com/evic

A big thanks to all involved in putting up that page, with that info it was all i needed to get it done.

very nice! thank you kb0nly.. going to have to make a trip to the junkyard this weekend. one last question.. on that linked page. in the text it says you need the harness that connects into the evic and then run the wires to the thing under the dash. .but then all the way at the bottom it says you needa make sure you get both harness connectors for console AND the fuse panel???

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Stupid questions
Where is this plug the how-to says you can't do without? Have wires coming from EVIC, hopefully that is where the problem does not lie.
If that is not the plug that's needed, where does one go about acquiring it?
And most important

What should ThunderbirdJunkie do with the sunroof switch?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the wiring... The B+ line from the EVIC gets spliced to the pink that feeds the lights on all the junkyard harness's i checked out. So when i wired mine i spliced into the pink wire near the right light, the other three wires, ignition switched B+, PCI Bus, and Ground all got made into a harness and tape wrapped. PCI Bus goes to pin 2 of the OBDII port, Ground goes to pin 4 or pin 5 of the OBDII port, and the ignition switched B+ goes to the harness that feeds the radio, tapped off pin 2 of that.
So does yours work with the headlights turned on? I just replaced my OTIS with an EVIC and it works great except when the headlights are on, then it goes a bit wonky. I figured it was something to do with the switched B+ source, I ran mine off a fuse in the junction block (don't remember which one, I'd need to look at it). I may see about moving it to the radio wire if that works better. Also need to go down and pick up a temp sensor since I currently get the infamous -40deg showing (but it beats the - - I got with the OTIS).