EVIC "ACTUAL" operation on mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dicnic

Reaction score
Anybody really know how the average miles per gallon system works? I mean, does it actually measure the quantity of gas flowing into the engine and mathematically compute the mileage based on the speedometer? Or is there some hocus-pocus involved just to keep us happy?

Have many of youse folks have calculated mileage the old fashioned way over a bunch of tankfuls and compared it to the EVIC reading? If so, did it compare?

Just curious, since we are all using our EVIC to complain about the mileage. (Me too!)

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by the dealer that it was supposed to actually compute the fuel flow through the injectors and compare that to the odometer. When I computed the mileage my hand over 3 tanks plus calculated the 6-7% odometer error that I regularly note when compared to milepost I get pretty much the same readings within aout 1 MPG.

The thing is on the CRD the EVIC and gauge were telling me this morning that I was bone dry but when I filled it would only take 17.1 gal and I am pretty sure it is a 20 gal tank. I nursed the fill too. I am not so sure that I really can tell from the pump if it is really full from one time to the next so I am not convinced that hand calculation is too accurate either.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add that on the estimated miles left before empty... I had heard that it estimates your miles left by the last two tanks of fuel. Plus I figure that Jeep has put in some buffer zone for those of us who like to push it. My wife always gets paranoid if I let it hit zero... LOL.