everyone has one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal I am looking for everyones opinion on this matter. Background first, 04 Renegade with 69k, OME suspension I put on about a year ago. Everything else is stock to include the 235 tires. Here is the question:
I am debating if I should put new, larger tires on it and replace the ball joints and A arms while I am at it. No issue with handling on the ball joints yet, but the boots are shot.
So if I go with this project I am thinking around $1100 dollars, maybe more. I like the Libby, but as far as performance it maybe somewhat lacking in power and off road prowess. I have been looking at Toyota FJ and the Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. If I do this than I am keeping it for a couple of years, if not I will milk it for another year and then pull the trigger on one of my previous two options. Like I said, just looking for an opinion. Is the juice worth the squeeze?:shrug:

DJ

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of off roading you are wanting to do. Have you found the KJ to not have enough clearance, or what are you saying when you stated lacks off road prowess.
For the kind of off road forestry roads etc that I do, with the OME lift, some clevis and boilers shims, I am in good shape, but still need the 4.5 a-arms to make it right in alignment and not hit spring. I would say that the kj is a very capable rig once done right, not a rock crawler, and the IFS on road is great with smooth riding characteristics. I am definitely keeping mine, with 37k miles I got lots of good trails ahead, and continuing to build it the way I want. It does not matter what Jeep you buy, you always want more! I think re tires I run silent armor in 245-65-17 and when it comes time if I can every find the right rims, I would run 245-75-16 as a preference in the tire department and consider swapping in some gears 4:10's front and rear.
Sometimes the best Jeeps are one's that are paid for that you can mod and be happy using. I am not sure If I could really get into a Rubicon even knowing that I could have all the lift parts support, and great tire sizes/clearance. I like the looks of KJ better, and not many take em to a new height and standard away from soccer Mom status. Cant wait to see what my rig looks like in a year from now..
I would stay away from FJ & their recycled beer can metal.

Last edited:

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the Libby's off road performance is sub par, I think you'll find the FJ much less satisfying and the Rubicon's clearance will seem great until you find more challenging trails and obstacles. Then, you'll be asking yourself whether you want to lift the Rubicon. I think you'd be much happier with some larger tires and a little lift on your Libby.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. What a arms are recommended? I have seen talk about MOOG and AL's.

DJ

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are not comparing apples to apples here
what I know ,this one will hurt some people
the KJ is not very good off road ,better than all in its class
but nothing like the FJ or Wrangler ,2 door
the 4 door Rubicon in STOCK form basically is a station wagon on 32" MT's
and will bottom out on the slightest hill ,wheel base my friends
The FJ is shorter than the 4 door JK but a little bigger than the 2 door
it comes with a rear locker and IIRC 3.93 gears in the diffs
the up side to the FJ is it is built by Toyota and honestly better built
some will bring up the frame cracking
I so okay fine at least you can steer it ,JK owners know how the JK likes to "steer for you" and yes I have felt it first hand
or how the JK will suck all the power off and put on the brakes in the mud
not good considering that you need momentum and steering in the mud

out side this in 95% of all off road situations
a bone stock FJ vs JK (4 door) the FJ will be better
2 door JK vs FJ and driver will make or brake this one
both have 10X the off road abilities of a KJ ,gun vs knife
both have great after market
given my choice I would go FJ ,if I had no wife and no kid
having both wife and child if I were to pull the trigger on a new rig
I would be Hemi WK ,lift ,locker and bumpers within the first week

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. What a arms are recommended? I have seen talk about MOOG and AL's.
DJ

Read: http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-Als_Upper_A_arms_for_02__07__lifted_Jeep_Liberty_s-2.aspx
These are what OME lifted Kj's are using!
Zerk fitting to keep ball joint greased, is replaceable!
Get a way better alignment and proper angle of the ball joint to steering knuckle!
In my case should eliminate spring contact at stock A-Arm.
Install on Tues if everything goes right..can't wait!
39616[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JBAUpperAArms.jpg
    JBAUpperAArms.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0