Esurance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ol' Erin is screwed eh?

it doesn't say it can be retro-active though...it can only be canceled from the time of notification forward. to my understanding, she was notified of policy cancellation AFTER she was involved in an accident, which is fine, and sometimes happens due to circumstances, but they cannot deny her claim for the time of the accident.

Lima.Charlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would totally agree with USAA. Broekn window replaced at no charge in 1 day.

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had Dairy Farm on my bike when it was stolen. Paid out the claim and canceled the policy.

Had State Farm on my Dakota. Had a wreck, paid the claim and sent a 30 day notice of cancellation. Had another wreck with same truck two weeks later. Paid the claim. Between the two they paid out over $9k on my truck alone. Truck was only blue booked at $6500.

Ran with Progressive(online) for about six years with no incidents. Now back in the State Farm fold. Like being able to walk in and chat about changes.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Erie for 28 years. Great to deal with.

Companies I will not deal with - Erie, State Farm, Allstate, Geico. I have Progressive now. The one and only time I made a claim with them, it worked out great. Repair work, rental, everything.

Erie - Have you had 3 claims for any reason? Erie will drop you after that. Regardless of fault. I do not know if there was a time limit. Happened to me, my brother and my Dad here in MD. We moved here from Erie years ago and was friends with the agent who also did so. One of my accidents was with another Erie policyholder, I was not at fault and they lowballed the body shop. The repaired part of the car did not get clearcoated becaused they didn't pay for it. It was a Dodge Colt and at that time (around 1980) not many cars were clearcoated. I was much younger then, complained to body shop and Erie but gave up after a while. A little later I got a lesson in FWD understeer in the rain and sideswiped another car. No claim on my car but that was no. 3 and the claim for the other car got me dropped. As it turns out the Colt was totaled later.

State Farm - When the Colt was totaled, it was only 18 months old, neat as a pin and like brand new. Except for the non clearcoated 1/4 panel. The florist van that ran a stop sign at 40 MPH and clobbered my right front was insured by State Farm. They had an adjuster that knew I was a kid and really tried beating me up on settlement. Would only give me about 60% of the value. Then I had my dad call them, he got back everything I paid for it. That adjuster was such an a$$hole that I swore never to do business with State Farm.

Allstate - Customer service was excellent, but by this time I was driving (aggressively) for my job and getting in accidents. A couple were my fault, a few more were not. Even when they were not my fault, I would just submit a claim, pay the deductible, put the car in the shop, get a rental, and get my deductible back as soon as the details get worked out. My rates went up some, I was getting wiser and I dialed back my crazy driving. Getting rid of my 84 GTI helped, LOL. Several years went by, my rates were down for a few years and everything was cool. Then my rates started going back up for no particular reason, (no claims, good credit, etc.) I was blindly paying them because the increases were incremental and I remembered that their customer service was good. After a while I owned 2 cars and everything was still cool. Then my rates really went up and the 1st thing I did was sell the older car, (I was going to anyway) the rates still were not reasonable so I shopped around and picked up Geico. Progressive was the next cheapest. I really did save hundreds of $$$. I cursed Allstate because then I realized I had been overpaying for years.

Geico - No biggie here, just that they jacked me up a little at the first 6 mo. renewal, dropped them right then and there and went with Progressive. The rates have been going down ever since, (being over 50 helps too) and I can't stand Geico's advertising. Progressive's advertising is getting annoying too. What's that girl supposed to be?

Now I shop periodically and Progressive is still the lowest for me.

Last edited:

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I have had my home (since 1989) and auto (since 1982) with them, and I have made over three auto claims with them, although none were for an at-fault accident. When I was hit from behind and American General ( who would think you'd have trouble with a company that does ads saying they are cheap and will insure almost anyone???) was being butts, Erie took care of it (less than $400, though) and got their money from "the general" almost a year later.

Each company probably has thousands of "good" stories and a like number of "bad" stories. It looks like youse pays yer monies, youse takes yer chances.