Esp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '06 KJ, will be going to Drummond Island early Aug. ?, does the traction control engage in 4wd.. or just 2wd. (stock diffs.) should I switch off the ESP? Would a LSD for the frt. axel be money well spent, this is a daily driver. I do have skids and hooks. Thanks in advance.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '06 KJ, will be going to Drummond Island early Aug. ?, does the traction control engage in 4wd.. or just 2wd. (stock diffs.) should I switch off the ESP? Would a LSD for the frt. axel be money well spent, this is a daily driver. I do have skids and hooks. Thanks in advance.

yes the esp will engage in 4hi but it is automatically disabled in 4lo, i havent had an issues with my front axle on my daily driver 06 but if your looking to make it more capable off road a lift would def be worth the money but as i said before i dont know how much you would truly gain out of a front LSD because you cant use the 4 wheel drive (command trac) on dry pavement if you plan on turning

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for this limited off roading in 4Hi would ESP on or off be better? we are not going to do any rock crawling, just getting back to senic areas.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for this limited off roading in 4Hi would ESP on or off be better? we are not going to do any rock crawling, just getting back to senic areas.

i honestly dont know which would be better, the esp only engages for me once in a while when the roads are wet or iced over and i give too much gas from a dead stop or sometimes taking a turn from a dead stop but it sure can be aggrovating when it kicks in at the wrong time so try it with both and see whichever works best for you

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need 4wd off road this time of year then you need
4wd low not high the trans will over heat in high

If you are looking for "traction aids" then the most benefit
Will come from adding to the rear first
In the order of suck to rock:
Front-rear
open-open
open-LSD (not stock)
LSD-LSD
open-locked
LSD-locked
locked-locked

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my rule of thumb. For situations that you need wheel spin while in 4hi (Deep snow, sand and mud). Turn off ESP.