error code P0038?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats causing it to throw this code. all was fine then all of a sudden i accelerated up to 70 mph to pass a car on the highway and the CEL came on. so then i checked to see what code it was throwing and it turned out to be P0038. what is it? and can someone please supply a link to an updated error code list. the search function for this site should just be removed since it is of no use whatsoever to find what you are looking for. what the hell does a post about brake pads have to do with error codes? lol ](*,)

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a HO2S Bank 1 sen 2 heater circuit high,I just had a po138 code and replaced the O2sensor downstream on the drivers side which fixed the problem.I think it's the same sensor causing your light.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what causes this to go? i think i already had this sensor go out before once. Just checked my service records and yes there was an oxygen sensor replaced back in january. it states that they replaced LT Downstream Oxygen Sensor-MIL LITE ON-CODE P0137
25017017 Sensor, Oxygen- Replace (A) The part number was 56029049AA. was that the same sensor that went on yours?

But what does P0038 mean? that is the code im getting this time.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what causes the sensers to fail but replaced 4 on my 97 mazda 626,2 on my son's 96 honda civic and so far just 1 on the KJ.

If your jeeps not under any warranty the replacement was less than 30 dollars for a bosch just make sure you replace the correct one-There are 4 on the 3.7.

Yeah the p0137 code is the same sensor just a different problem as the one I had to replace and also the same sensor that went bad again with yours so maybe you can take it back if that part was just changed recently. Let us know what happens..

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18,888 miles on it. i have an extended warranty for 100,000 miles so im fine in that department. first time the sensor went was back in january of this year when i hit some ice on an offramp as i was breaking to slow down for the ramp and the kj slid around doing some 360's down the highway for a bit. the engine cut off and the light came on and shot out the P0137 code. sensor got replaced under warranty.

This time around i had just gotten done splashing in some mud and while driving home i shot it up to 70 mph to pass some people who felt the need to do 10 mph under the speed limit on the highway. as it hit 70 the CEL came on. I wonder if the sensor going bad can fall under the lemon law? Not saying i want to have a lemon law done on it but just curious about it.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O2 Sensors throwing a check engine light is very common on 96 and newer vehicles,My junk mazda used them up like candy at 300 dollars a shot-at least the jeep sensors are priced low and easy to replace..

dhixkj06

Reaction score
hi i have access to all data and this is what p0038 is and what possible causes are. 02 sensors unless defective from oem or damaged from something in engine should not just go bad in my 6 years in the field i may have seen only a handfull go bad but the vehicle was properly diagnosed b4 any parts replacing was done. ne way hope this helps

SYMPTOM
P0038-O2 SENSOR 1/2 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH

TEST NOTE
This symptom is diagnosed using the test SENSOR 1/1 HEATER CIRCUIT HIGH.

WHEN MONITORED
Battery voltage above 10.6 volts , ASD is powered up, and O2 heater is off.

SET CONDITION
O2 Heater element input is above the maximum acceptable voltage.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

O2 sensor heater operation
O2 heater element
O2 heater ground circuit open
O2 sensor
O2 heater control shorted to voltage
O2 heater control circuit open
PCM