Error 1491

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got engine light and code 1491 (Radiator fan control circuit problem (may be solid state relays as well as other circuits)).

I looked inside when the engine was warm and running and the radiator fan never came on. The temp guage says normal but the a/c compressor front disk thing stops turning and clicks then goes again for a few seconds then stops and this repeats. What's up with that?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i figured it out.
The Radiator cooling fan relay is broken. Easy fix. I will replace it tommorow and see if problem goes away. Thanks.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Sounds like the relay. The a/c compressor is supposed to cycle on and off like that if one of the a/c settings or defroster settings are selected, thats normal.

However, when the a/c is on, the radiator fan should also be on. You could try swapping relays with one of the same (such as the horn if it's the same type relay) and see if the fan works the horn doesn't to verify that is the issue, but i'm almost positive that it is.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the relay. The a/c compressor is supposed to cycle on and off like that if one of the a/c settings or defroster settings are selected, thats normal.

However, when the a/c is on, the radiator fan should also be on. You could try swapping relays with one of the same (such as the horn if it's the same type relay) and see if the fan works the horn doesn't to verify that is the issue, but i'm almost positive that it is.
The electric fan has a dedicated relay box,bolted under the battery area on the inside edge of the fender,and can not be swapped,they run like $50-$80 for the relay.

2003KJ

Reaction score
The electric fan has a dedicated relay box,bolted under the battery area on the inside edge of the fender,and can not be swapped,they run like $50-$80 for the relay.

Oh really? Well that kinda *****. Good to know though thanks!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I just replaced a fuse (looked like a mini relay) for the electric fan. Thought is was the relay at first till I checked into it more. $5.00 for the fuse.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took the relay apart and it is definitely broken. A new one costs $94 here and they don't have any in till next week. I stuck the blower relay in there for now. But i am going to try and solder the old one back together and see if it works.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i resoldered the conection. i'm not the greatest at soldering so we'll see how long it lasts. Fan is working again for now.

Reaction score
that happens to me too. i think its a thing near the belt drive. it goes on and off but i always have either the air or heat on

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took the relay apart and it is definitely broken. A new one costs $94 here and they don't have any in till next week. I stuck the blower relay in there for now. But i am going to try and solder the old one back together and see if it works.

I don't know how you managed to swap the relay, the parts book only shows one of this type of solid state relay in the vehicle, until 2005 when it was changed to a standard mechanical relay.
I got the P1491 and it turned out to be a bad connection on the blue/pink 12volt feed to the relay. Unplugging and plugging the relay back in was enough to fix the problem temporarily but, it was back 2 days later.
The bad connection had caused the connector to overheat and partially melt some of the plastic of the plug. I cut the connector off and soldered the wires direct to the relay.
Ths is the first real fault I have had with the Jeep, other than loosing gas from the A/C a couple of times.