ERPS: Electronic Rust Prevention - Do they Work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am thinking of fitting a ERPS: Electronic Rust Prevention into the Renegade, We have a lot of Great Beach here, about 35km of beach and another 30km of cross Island beach about 10 min from my place.

Question is, what ERPS do you use, does it work well? is it difficult to install?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Never heard of it!
I just wash often (at least once a week) thoroughly, wipe the door jambs/ other vulnerable areas with silicone spray a few times during the winter and seal the paint twice a year, no rust yet! (Knock on wood!!!) :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of it!
I just wash often (at least once a week) thoroughly, wipe the door jambs/ other vulnerable areas with silicone spray a few times during the winter and seal the paint twice a year, no rust yet! (Knock on wood!!!) :D
X2.................

Washing weekly is the best way,just remember to pay more attention to the undercarriage.

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the washing, but we hit the beach at least 2 times a week, washing undercarriage is a long process and don’t always have the time for a thorough wash, so trying to find something that helps alongside the washing regime.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see it. No sacrificial anode.
http://www.erps.com.au/images/ERPSTechDoc.pdf

A piece of homogeneous steel will still rust, exposed, electrically isolated, with same net surface charge on the metal. This system creating zero electrical potential so it puts "equal negative charge" on metal. Isn't all of it prone as opposed to more specific pieces.

Galvanic corrosion on a aluminum boat is most prone where the instance of scrapped paint and lazy frame grounded wiring instead of bonding to negative on battery circuit. The zincs on the motor only protect a rather limited area from their placement.

The key point of that is that it will attack where the hull is damage and paint is missing creating those type of pin holes associated with galvanic corrosion. If bare metal is painted and clean, its less likely to exhibit rust. The metal next to the paint scrape is unaffected.

keep it clean and painted and your less likely to see it, and as in the case with the aluminum boat don't keep it stored in salt water....

In Cardhu's Canada, we'd all have legit snow tires and give up on this sand salt BS.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of it!

I can vouch for HJ's Jeep - it looks great and will no doubt last a long time. Jerry, I like the idea of wiping the jambs down with silicone spray. What do you use?

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can vouch for HJ's Jeep - it looks great and will no doubt last a long time. Jerry, I like the idea of wiping the jambs down with silicone spray. What do you use?

Bob

Thanks!

I use this Liquid Wrench silicone spray, there are probably others but this one is like $2-3 a can and available everywhere. The silicone is safe on paint and rubber.
Liquid Wrench | Products

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I use the same stuff...

I do the window "tracks" too. Keeps the glass moving up and down with as little resistance as possible!

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the same stuff...

I do the window "tracks" too. Keeps the glass moving up and down with as little resistance as possible!

Ah so that would prolong the inevitable with the windows falling until I can put aside money to upgrade the remaining three windows.:evil:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the washing, but we hit the beach at least 2 times a week, washing undercarriage is a long process and don’t always have the time for a thorough wash, so trying to find something that helps alongside the washing regime.
It takes less then 10mins to fully wash the undercarriage,I do it every sunday.

Those electronic rust things only really work for something left submerged in salt water.They use those things on ships in bone yards.Don't work very well on land.

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes less then 10mins to fully wash the undercarriage,I do it every sunday.

Those electronic rust things only really work for something left submerged in salt water.They use those things on ships in bone yards.Don't work very well on land.

Did mine this morning, with the 2.5" lift its far easier to power hose the undercarriage.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.