"Enhanced Stock" lift project- opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eff

Reaction score
Hi ya'll- been awhile, but now that I've put a few thousand miles on the *Blue Piglet* (libatlblue), i have my plan for it's long term usability. I mean it is not easy to justify a vehicle that is not a Wrangler or Cherokee for off road; is not great on mpg, power or highway handling- as the Liberty seems to do all those things "adequately" but not great.
So my plan is to improve those areas that it comes close to excelling at:
1. comfortable, quiet ride on 100-300 mi highway trips to West Coast or wilderness destinations with gear;
2. comfortable ride on 30-60 mi rough (Forest Service) roads with gear;
3. Moderate towing power- better than X-over vehicles to pull future safari trailer / Casitas type camp trailer.
And with 118,000 commuter miles on it- it needs suspension BAAAD.
Sooooo....
After re-reading all the FAQ's I'm ready to pull trigger on:
Front- OME 1 1/2" lift Medium N131 struts and 2926 springs (future addition of only removable winch- keeping bumper stock). Keep stock UCAs; no extended stops.
Rear- OME 1 1/2" lift Med N132 struts and 2948 springs. Add 1/2" spacer for towing.
Questions:
First, is this a reasonable approach given my usage does not include 4 wheelin'?
2. Is it wise to replace all rubber bushings while I'm at it- the existing doesn't "look" bad.
3.Should i replace all spring isolator rubber?
4. With the 1 1/2" lift plus 1/2" spacer, should I be getting the Long shock, or is that only for 2 1/2" + lifts?

Anyway, I appreciate any input or direction to posts on "stock" upgrades.
Thanks in advance,
Eff

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put an OME 948 and 927 lift on and your perception will turn 180°. Right now your KJ rides like poo. On the highway mine is a dream. Best vehicle I've ever had on the highway. Also look at the tom mudd lift on jeepinbyal.com. Check the lift FAQs and here, that has all the info you need.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be disappointed with the 926 springs up front. They will be too soft and not provide you with the kind of support you'll need.

You'll get more than 1 1/2" of lift out of the OME springs. They have to use that lift amount for insurance/liability reasons in Australia. Measure your current wheel hub to fender flare in the front and back and let us know that number. With just the springs in the front you'll gain somewhere around 2 3/4" or so.

As for the rear shock length you should be fine with the stock length. Don't worry about replacing the rear isolators - just add one to the one that's already there.

But since you're going to raise the rear 1/2" why not add a 1/4" top plate to the front? That will level things out front-to-back so you won't have a forward leaning rake on your Liberty.

The bushings that tend to be a problem are those in the stablizer bar links (have to replace the whole link) and the bushings in the rear lower control arms. Check with your dealer to find out if you are in line for a recall on them; if not then the bushings are inexpensive and can be pressed in at any tire shop.

Remember to take and share pics of the project!

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I got the 926 in the front, I really like them but for a winch they are too soft.

Eff

Reaction score
Thanks- i was borderline about the 926's so i will be getting the 927's as i probably will be putting a winch on it later.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just do the normal 927/948 with bumpstops etc
Do it right the first time and be done

Members online

No members online now.