Engine swap... no start... code PO340

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullykatz

Reaction score
Long story short... Bought a 2003 Liberty with a bad engine. Mechanic next door offered to swap in a replacement. He swapped in an '06 engine. Got a no start condition (cranking) with code PO340. Replaced cam sensor, no change, no start.
KJ had been sitting for approximately 1 ½yrs after theft recovery. Gas is good, replaced fuel filter as well.
I read somewhere online that there is imcompatibility with different year engine although same size. neighbor did not research this. I found info regarding 02-04 using JTEC and 05-later using NGC...
Easier and cheaper to swap engine computer as opposed to removing crankshaft and swapping internals?
TIA

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Computer swap would be last thing on my list, so many differences etc between 03 and 06

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short... Bought a 2003 Liberty with a bad engine. Mechanic next door offered to swap in a replacement. He swapped in an '06 engine. Got a no start condition (cranking) with code PO340. Replaced cam sensor, no change, no start.
KJ had been sitting for approximately 1 ½yrs after theft recovery. Gas is good, replaced fuel filter as well.
I read somewhere online that there is imcompatibility with different year engine although same size. neighbor did not research this. I found info regarding 02-04 using JTEC and 05-later using NGC...
Easier and cheaper to swap engine computer as opposed to removing crankshaft and swapping internals?
TIA
Read through this engine swap thread. The incompatibility and what to do to fix it is in here.
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/engine-swap-overview.53270/

Bullykatz

Reaction score
So...... replacing the cam sprocket is the easier aspect. Safe to assume that no way around yanking the engine and dropping the crankshaft for the reluctor, yes?
Swapping the crank sensor for an '06 sensor would be too easy for my luck.
Thanks for the link, wish all the pics were still viewable.