Engine running very rough sometimes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gesang

Reaction score
I just bought my first Jeep about 3 weeks. 2006 CRD Liberty with about 73K miles. Bright Red. I knew it needed some work when i bought it but I got it at a great prices so there was some room to put money into the Jeep.
After driving a week or so, I drove to next city, about 25 miles 70 mph on the interstate all the way there. Ran great. Got done with my task there after about an hour, and when i got back on the interstate, it was running rough and would not come up to speed. In fact it would not go over 50mph with the pedal to the floor. And when I took off from a red light, it was pedal to the floor and hardly going 10 mph in the city. But I managed to get to my mechanic shop after going back about 25 miles and parked in their lot. When the mechanic came out to start it up and pull into the bay, it started like perfect. Just like the problem never happened. There were no lights on, like the check engine lite. Nothing. He hooked up his computer and found no error codes. Weird.
So he searched his mechanic forums and the only thing he could come up with was to replace the mass air flow sensor and the air filter. Well they did that and it seemed to run fine. Today, about a week later, it did the same rough running, no acceleration thing again. I pulled over, turned off engine. tried to start again, tried again. Then i waited about 5 minutes and it started up fine and ran the rest of the way home with no problem.

So can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
Why no engine lights coming on?
Why no error codes in the computer?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the MAF sensor and check the CAC rubber hoses going to the intercooler and intake manifold are not cracked...that does not explain the intermittant problem though.

Looking at other CRD sites I have seen two reasons for intermittant problems like this:

Firstly bad crankshaft or camshaft sensor, secondly a leaking fuel injector.

Also the 2006 CRD has a known problem that the fuel filter was slightly moved to a new position..if you remove the fuel filter bracket from the firewall....look carefully at the thick wire harness running behind there to see it is not cut or chaffed by the bracket. This causes all sorts of intermitant problems.

gesang

Reaction score
Gforce chip for 06 Liberty CRD

Well my CRD is running better. As I said before I had the MAF sensor changed and the air filter also. Then at the suggestion of some CRD owners I had my mechanic change the fuel filter mounting bracket because that has caused problems like this and it was not very expensive. If the EGR valve needs to be replaced as my mechanic says is possible, that will be expensive. But for now it has not gone into limp mode for quite some time.

I looked into doing the Green Diesel Engineering ECU reprogram but it is $500 so instead I got a Gforce chip for like $69 and it is supposed to also increase the HP and mileage. Does anyone know about this chip and have any experiences to share?

The GDE reprogram is supposed to eliminate the EGR and MAF completely but does the Gforce do the same thing?

I am supposed to clip the Gforce chip into the wires to the Intake Pressure Sensor but I cannot find it. I have a diagram from them and I have looked but I just cannot find it. Any ideas here?

thanks guys.

postiecol

Reaction score
I just bought my first Jeep about 3 weeks. 2006 CRD Liberty with about 73K miles. Bright Red. I knew it needed some work when i bought it but I got it at a great prices so there was some room to put money into the Jeep.
After driving a week or so, I drove to next city, about 25 miles 70 mph on the interstate all the way there. Ran great. Got done with my task there after about an hour, and when i got back on the interstate, it was running rough and would not come up to speed. In fact it would not go over 50mph with the pedal to the floor. And when I took off from a red light, it was pedal to the floor and hardly going 10 mph in the city. But I managed to get to my mechanic shop after going back about 25 miles and parked in their lot. When the mechanic came out to start it up and pull into the bay, it started like perfect. Just like the problem never happened. There were no lights on, like the check engine lite. Nothing. He hooked up his computer and found no error codes. Weird.
So he searched his mechanic forums and the only thing he could come up with was to replace the mass air flow sensor and the air filter. Well they did that and it seemed to run fine. Today, about a week later, it did the same rough running, no acceleration thing again. I pulled over, turned off engine. tried to start again, tried again. Then i waited about 5 minutes and it started up fine and ran the rest of the way home with no problem.

So can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
Why no engine lights coming on?
Why no error codes in the computer?
Hi there, i have exactly the same problem...if you take a look at the fuel filter housing, you will see two push in plugs, now looking directly at it pull the right hand plug out..if it has diesel in and around it and the plug looks scorched thats the problem..air is getting into the fuel line...this has a TSB for that problem...you will need to replace the filter housing with jeeps modified housing. it also comes with a new piece of wiring aswell. My own costs £158 (UK)..your jeep dealer or stockist should keep these..good luck

gesang

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the input. I had the fuel filter mounting bracket changed a few weeks ago because of what many people on this forum and another Jeep forum have said. And sure enough, I have not had the problem again. So I think that should do it. Now I am just seeing if my gas mileage improves with the Gforce chip that I put on about a week ago. If not then I will probably go for the GDE reprogram of the brain.

monarog

Reaction score
Funny GeSang.... I am in the EXACT same situation. Just bought a 06 Jeep Liberty CRD .... basically LOVE it! I recently experienced the same problem, so found you guys here. I know diesels pretty well, and felt like it was an air in fuel problem, but kept looking into the torque converter issue.... wondering if that may be it. Sounds like it is my fuel filter.

I bought the GDE EcoTune for mine right away. I felt like it would be well worth the $500 in reducing later maintenance expenses, and in addition getting better economy. I could not be happier. Immediately, it ran so much smoother, and better. Money well spent.

Does anyone know if we can figure out all of the warranty service work that has been done by Jeep dealership w/o going to the (cough) dealer to ask them to run the numbers? ( Thinking TC here )

gesang

Reaction score
Green Diesel Engineering Eco Tune !!

Weill I finally went ahead and got the Green Diesel Engineering Eco Tune today uploaded to my Jeep. I had tried the G-force chip for a few weeks. Although it seemed to increase the HP, the gas mileage around town went down from 20.7 to 17.83 so back to the dealer it goes!
Keith at GDE was great, helping me out. And my first reaction with a quick test drive and gas fillup was that my Jeep Liberty is now a hot-rod. BIG difference in the performance right after installation. I am going to be measuring my gas mileage carefully for the next few tanks. I will report back here. I just hope I don't get caught speeding in my new hot rod! I'm getting the Jeep ready for a drive town to Tahoe first week of March to go skiing with family. In-laws in from Pennsylvania. Son up from Phoenix. Sister in Law from San Jose. Good times!

Latest posts

Members online