engine light just came on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's 05 KJ just had the engine light come on. I've searched this a bit, and haven't tried some of solutions (battery disconnect, cycle key etc) yet, but will tomorrow.

I changed the oil not long ago, but am running it past the recommended interval because I run synthetic. Is there some type of sensor that could think it has gone too long without an oil change? Also, for the last week or so the chime for low washer fluid has been going off and we've been ignoring it, but today I filled the reservoir and the chime stopped, and coincidentally that is the same time the engine light decided to come on. I doubt that the two are related, but I know little about these things.

My wife has to leave on a 600km round trip on monday, and nothing is open tomorrow, and of course she is now real worried because she is convinced that it is something gravely serious. I told her it's very likely nothing at all is wrong but she will fret about it all day.

A quick search of this forum said something about cycling the key 3 times to see what the code is, but what exactly does this do? And if I disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and the light clears, will she be good to go for her trip on Monday?

She is going close to the city on monday, so I suppose I could get her to duck into a dealer and have it checked, but I'd sooner not..

Any suggestions or ideas what I can look for?

thanks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Without Starting Jeep:
Read OBDII code by turning the key..
On-Off-On-Off- ON and leave it in the ON position
look at digital odometer, if you get it right..should be a P00____code.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without starting jeep:
Read obdii code by turning the key..
On-off-on-off- on and leave it in the on position
look at digital odometer, if you get it right..should be a p00____code.

p0441

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Or evap incorrect purge flow.
Disconnect the battery ground for 15 minutes to re-set code, or use a code scanner to turn off light.
Then see if it comes back on for starters.
Did you just fill the Jeep and then light came on, when gas clicks off dont overfill it.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or evap incorrect purge flow.
Disconnect the battery ground for 15 minutes to re-set code, or use a code scanner to turn off light.
Then see if it comes back on for starters.
Did you just fill the Jeep and then light came on, when gas clicks off dont overfill it.

Will do - thanks for the replies.

Should the light not come off, is this a serious enough problem that my wife should not take it on a longish trip tomorrow?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe gas cap not being on tight will be your first place to look. Million threads on here about that. Start there (clear the code as mentioned above) then make sure gas cap is on tight. If code comes back and you're sure cap is on tight, you may truly have an evap issue needing further investigation.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnected the batt for 1/2 hour or so, light cleared and has not come back on yet.

Gas cap seemed fine when I took it in to fill up. I ran the tank right down though, probably the first time that's been done since we bought it a year ago, my better 1/2 never lets it get lower than 1/4 tank before filling. Just wonder'in if that may have had something to do with it..

Latest posts

Members online