Engine Code HELP...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluzchk66

Reaction score
SOOOO, it all started a few weeks ago when my engine light came on while I was driving back from New York. The guy at the oil place had told me a few weeks before that my transmission fluid was "dirty" but I felt like he was telling EVERYONE there was something wrong with their car. SOOOO, I took it to a local mechanic and he flushed out the system, put new fluid in and told me it seemed to be "running hot". Lo and behold a week later, the engine light comes on again. I took it to my regular mechanic and he proceeds to tell me I need a new transmission. The codes he pulled were p0700, p0740 and p0736 (which I can't find). I pulled po839 when I did a code pull on my own. A friend of mine took a ride with me and he said it doesn't feel like the transmission is slipping, it just doesn't seem to know when it is supposed to down shift to get more power up a hill. Any suggestions, common situations, ideas, thoughts? Single mom with a kid in college and I can't afford a new ****** OR new car just yet. She's an 04 with 162K on her and other than this issue, she still runs beautifully. Thanks so much for your help.
Jennifer

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you any tech worth a damn will find something wrong on any vehicle,even a brand new one with 3 miles on it(alignment,always the alignment).

If you have not done the trans service on regular intervals,every 30k-60k,and the wrong fluid was used(anything but ATF+4) I'm sorry to say your trans is pretty much on it's way out.The TCC is slipping,P0740,and your getting a reverse fault.

ATF is a very good cleaner and if you introduce to much new ATF in a worn trans that has not been serviced on a regular basis it will over clean the trans and that's it,trans goes bye-bye.