electrical issue/shorting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a fuse that is continually blowing... the fuse runs the radio, interior lights and remote door locking.
i did pull the radio recently, and i'm guessing i exposed a wire somewhere that is causing a short. i've looked and can see nothing... i'm hoping they will not need to replace the wiring harness to fix.. is there any way to know/test for a short? i know zero about electrical.
i'm guessing ill need to take the jeep in to a dealer to have this issue fixed, but i thought id ask here as well.
any thoughts or help would be appreciated. thanks

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a fuse that is continually blowing... the fuse runs the radio, interior lights and remote door locking.
i did pull the radio recently, and i'm guessing i exposed a wire somewhere that is causing a short. i've looked and can see nothing... i'm hoping they will not need to replace the wiring harness to fix.. is there any way to know/test for a short? i know zero about electrical.
i'm guessing ill need to take the jeep in to a dealer to have this issue fixed, but i thought id ask here as well.
any thoughts or help would be appreciated. thanks

What year/model is your KJ?

Maybe I can supply you with a circuit diagram of the relevant problem area.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your most likely going to have to sniff out the the short. No real way to check other then that. I have and alldata acount if billwill cant find a diagram i can. Good luck

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your most likely going to have to sniff out the the short. No real way to check other then that. I have and alldata acount if billwill cant find a diagram i can. Good luck
i have isolated it to the radio harness... i connected ONLY the main black connector leaving the antenna, nav antenna, and aux hookup for my GROM iphone disconnected. the fuse shorted in minutes... now i have removed the entire radio... and no shorting. so i'm guessing i pinched i wire stuffing the radio back in at some point, and i will need to remove the factory electrical tape and look wire by wire for damage....
that sound like the right plan?
i cant imaging the damage is anywhere else in the harness... the cable clusters are very snugly secured in place... even a good firm tug on the wires wont make them budge... so im hoping it is somewhere along the wires i can see that are close to the radio itself.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the fuse blows with NO radio connected then it's your harness, if it only blows with the radio connected, then it's the radio or whatever you did to it. If it's an amplified system, it could be power for that.

Or since we're going to spend the most time on what's least likely (seems to be the norm in KJ forums), be sure to check the washer level.

Last edited:

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the fuse blows with NO radio connected then it's your harness, if it only blows with the radio connected, then it's the radio or whatever you did to it. If it's an amplified system, it could be power for that.

Or since we're going to spend the most time on what's least likely (seems to be the norm in KJ forums), be sure to check the washer level.

nope... just with the radio connected. its a factory RB1 stereo/nav
all i did was pull it out and then reconnected it.

... washer level AOK!