Electric fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thought popped into my mind while considering a mechanical fan for offroading...just out of curiosity, how much pain in the butt would it be to put a 2 way switch on the electric fan? That way when offroading I can turn the fan on to run all the time to help prevent overheating, then when I get back onroad I can switch it back to automatic and put it back to normal. I would think the benefit would be that if I didn't do the mechanical fan, i wouldn't have to deal with the power and mpg losses associated with it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electric fan is the primary cooling fan regardless if you have HD cooling(the added mechanical fan).That mechanical fan clutch does not fully lock till about 229 degrees and the electric fan turns on at 219 degrees.

Messing with the electric cooling fan can pop the MIL on also since it's controlled by the PCM.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, crap, didn't think about the MIL. I hate PCMs. Can't wait to get my '66 F100 done... Wonder how much I would lose doing the mechanical fan.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, crap, didn't think about the MIL. I hate PCMs. Can't wait to get my '66 F100 done... Wonder how much I would lose doing the mechanical fan.
can't say how much mpg's and power you'd loose but USAFCOP's SFA KJ is pretty much the same as mine but a lot lighter and his get's worse mpg's then mine,his always has gotten a little worse then mine and the main difference is he has HD cooling and I don't.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I need to figure some other way to waste my money on it. Maybe some all terrain tires. Already have the 15" Cragar Soft 8s. Just need some shoes for them and I cna ditch these street tires. Damn shame too, but I want ATs. Need to find a buyer for them. Thanks for the info.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I need to figure some other way to waste my money on it. Maybe some all terrain tires. Already have the 15" Cragar Soft 8s. Just need some shoes for them and I cna ditch these street tires. Damn shame too, but I want ATs. Need to find a buyer for them. Thanks for the info.

Skip the mall terrain tires. You're rollin on 15"s like us, here is what I'll be putting on by this weekend(if all goes well)
Cooper Discoverer STT Tires C76107 30X9.50R15 104Q OWL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes need a lift especially when you consider you've sagged 1/2 to an inch
and .......go Duratracs :bleh::roflsquared:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blah, duratracs...j/k. Duratracs do pretty decent in snow, we've had a few come in on vehicles up here on monument hill, where we get more snow than in town. If they made a 30", I'd bought some. Wasn't convinced I could get 31"s to fit, so I went conservative this go round. I rolled my new rubber beside my jeep last night, and I could technically get them on with no lift, but it'll rub like no ones mother. Gonna get the lift in first, or be putting the lift in when I have the guys next door mount them.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gonna get mine back to stock height. Gonna do new rear coils and shocks and new coil assemblies up front. Reason I am not lifting is I have a horrible back (degenerative disc disease and all that) and don't want to make it hard to get in. I want to run the stock height tire, but in a 15 inch. However, I want that tire as wide as I can run with a 4 inch backspace rim.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am gonna get mine back to stock height. Gonna do new rear coils and shocks and new coil assemblies up front. Reason I am not lifting is I have a horrible back (degenerative disc disease and all that) and don't want to make it hard to get in. I want to run the stock height tire, but in a 15 inch. However, I want that tire as wide as I can run with a 4 inch backspace rim.

Can't run 4 inch backspaced wheels and stock height
stock backspacing only unless you like lots of rubbing
Don't have to lift it 4 inches so you have to climb up, most everyone I've lifted here like it better since its easier to get in with a 2-2.5 inch lift

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanical fan is on all the time due to the fact my e-fan took a crap on me a few weeks ago maybe a month I think it might have been maybe more. Who's keeping track?

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanical fan is on all the time due to the fact my e-fan took a crap on me a few weeks ago maybe a month I think it might have been maybe more. Who's keeping track?

I would be keeping track, and getting it fixed, unless you want to be a statistic when your valve seats come loose and you warp or crack a head. The electric fan is the primary fan for cooling. The mechanical fan kicks in at higher temps. Granted if your area has been cool, you might be getting by, but not for long.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little problems now become big problems later. I just did a top end rebuild on my 3.7. Not a fun prospect. Had my valve seats checked, pressure tested, shaved, all that jive. If you aren't careful, you will be asking for advice on the rebuild you are doing because you warped a head or dropped a seat.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be keeping track, and getting it fixed, unless you want to be a statistic when your valve seats come loose and you warp or crack a head. The electric fan is the primary fan for cooling. The mechanical fan kicks in at higher temps. Granted if your area has been cool, you might be getting by, but not for long.

It actually stays cooler now then it did while the e-fan was working. The mechanical fan doesn't just kick in at higher temps it's on ALL the time trust me you can hear it a mile away

Latest posts

Members online